Gibson serial numbers - again (sorry)

What's Hot
I'm looking to buy a 2015 Les Paul special double cut but can't fathom the serial number. Can anyone enlighten me please. It doesn't conform to the YY then production number convention.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    What is the serial - that might help us decipher it for you.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers Steve it's 100025613

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    edited August 2018
    Gibson USA serial numbers used to operate on a YDDDYRRR format, where YY is the year, DDD is the day of the year and RRR is a factory code. Yours has one too many digits for that so I guess they've just extended them with an extra digit to differentiate from earlier numbers.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    That’s a 2012 serial number?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7079
    tFB Trader
    The extra digit was added around 2005, but from 2014 the format changed to the year in the first two digits.

That number doesn't look right to me, certainly not for a 2015 guitar which should start with 15 as far as I'm aware.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Do you have a photo or a link to the sale if it's online? As SteveRobinson says, it doesn't sound right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    certainly no doubt its a 2015.   Sometimes features speak more than serials 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Guessing you haven't seen a photo that actually shows the serial, so could just be a typo/misreading by the seller?
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    My first reaction to that was that it was a Chibson, since the body and headstock shapes are all wrong, the bridge isn't on at the right angle, it's got the wrong control layout, and the colour doesn't look right. And it surprised me, because I didn't think they would be daft enough to make a fake 2015 model.

So I'm even more shocked to discover that it's actually real!

http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cut/LPSD15YTSN1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

WTF were they thinking?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2018
    ICBM said:
    My first reaction to that was that it was a Chibson, since the body and headstock shapes are all wrong, the bridge isn't on at the right angle, it's got the wrong control layout, and the colour doesn't look right. And it surprised me, because I didn't think they would be daft enough to make a fake 2015 model.

So I'm even more shocked to discover that it's actually real!

http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cut/LPSD15YTSN1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

WTF were they thinking?
    But besides that, happy potential new guitar day!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    Yep, definitely a 2015 - no doubt at all with the squiggle logo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I think that DC quiet nice looking, looked great in vintage sunburst too... the squigly logo is naff but you don't notice it when playing. @markguitarblaze if you’re not already aware the necks were wider than normal on 2015 models. This was pretty unpopular with a lot of players. Get your hands on it before commiting to buy to make sure its something you're comfortable with. Not sure about the serial number, did you have a pic or did the owner send you that. Could just be a typo
  • Thanks guys. Very grateful to everyone for taking the time to help, very greatly appreciated.