Need a Baritone - PRS SE-277? Duesenberg? Reverend Descent?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    Easiest trick is to buy a baritone Warmoth neck, and stick it on a tele or strat

see Tim Lerch:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Well that's not helped....

• You're talking the bones of £250 for a warmoth neck though? Plus whatever set up would cost if you're not able to do it yourself?
  • Yeah, a Warmoth neck makes sense for someone who is able to set up an instrument properly themselves and already has a body that they own and love. But I'm terrible at setting up guitars and would have to find a body first. 

Yeah, a Warmoth neck makes sense for someone who is able to set up an instrument properly themselves and already has a body that they own and love. But I'm terrible at setting up guitars and would have to find a body first. 
    yep, just depends if you have a guitar with a neck you don't like, 
    also remember that not everyone gets along with baritones, so necks often come up for sale quite cheaply
  • Yeah, a Warmoth neck makes sense for someone who is able to set up an instrument properly themselves and already has a body that they own and love. But I'm terrible at setting up guitars and would have to find a body first. 
    also remember that not everyone gets along with baritones, so necks often come up for sale quite cheaply
    point me in that direction! :)
    Yeah, a Warmoth neck makes sense for someone who is able to set up an instrument properly themselves and already has a body that they own and love. But I'm terrible at setting up guitars and would have to find a body first. 
    point me in that direction! :)
    ebay saved search. I've missed 2.
    Was one on here maybe once too

I have a Warmoth neck on another guitar, they are very well made
  • I'm considering that option, but I'd have to buy a tele first, so thinking would be much less hassle to just buy a baritone!
    other thing is to consider active EQ and active pickups. I'd recommend it if you plan to down tune to B or A
  • I'm considering picking up the limited edition satin SE 277 Semi-Hollow with P90s that GuitarGuitar in Epsom has. Strongly considering it. 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    The PRS baritone with the soapbars is a really nice instrument. Very hard to go wrong... 

• Whitecat said:
    The PRS baritone with the soapbars is a really nice instrument. Very hard to go wrong... 

GuitarGuitar do have a 2017 standard model for £600, but it has a tacky neck. The limited edition model has a satin finish. It's £200 more, but I really don't like tacky necks. I do prefer the looks of the Stealth one, but it's more the satin neck that's making me consider squeezing out an extra £200. 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Whitecat said:

GuitarGuitar do have a 2017 standard model for £600, but it has a tacky neck. The limited edition model has a satin finish. It's £200 more, but I really don't like tacky necks. I do prefer the looks of the Stealth one, but it's more the satin neck that's making me consider squeezing out an extra £200. 
    Those satins have ebony fingerboards, which + satin neck would pretty much sell it for me.

I used to have one of the "exotic" ebony-veneered models. Sounded really good. Sold it because GAS, but it was a very well-made guitar.
  • Yeah, those ebony-veneered models were really cool. They were just sexy enough to be in high demand, but also quirky and unique enough so that PRS only needed to make a few hundred and still make money and further their reputation. The SE line didn't always have an amazing reputation, but now it seems they're up there with Reverend and even budget US-made Gibson and Fender. 

• So I bit the bullet and ordered the last PRS SE-277 Semi-Hollow Soapbar with the satin finish and quilted top that GuitarGuitar has. I'll make a thread or update this thread when it arrives. We'll see if I gel with it. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited September 2018
    That, Mr Angry, looks fantastic. I'd imagine that it stimulates all sorts of new playing styles / song ideas. How are you finding it?
  • NelsonP said:
    That, Mr Angry, looks fantastic. I'd imagine that it stimulates all sorts of new playing styles / song ideas. How are you finding it?
    So far I have pretty much zero qualms with it. Anything that I would want different would change the positives the guitar has. Like, for example, I'm so used to vibratos now that it feels weird not to have one. But the bridge is so stable, so comfortable, and the tuning is solid that if the bridge was floating, those positives wouldn't be there any more. So it'd be a trade off. The same applies to the sound. I was hoping for something with a little more twang, but I wasn't expecting the guitar to have so much warmth and body. It's such a strong sound. If it was a little brighter and sharper, it wouldn't be so thicc! xD So I'm loving it.