Elliott Randall - Reelin in the years + Steely Dan

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14309
in Guitar tFB Trader
Happen to be in the car yesterday 4pm ish - Johnny Walker show - And he had Elliott Randall with him for a chat/interview etc

Started talking about the Reelin in the years and the recording of it - Apparently no amps in the studio, so they borrowed one from next door and the only one available was an Ampeg SVT bass rig with the 8x10 cab - so that is what they used, turned up to get some gain - 300 watt amp turned up !!!!! - along with his humbucker equipped Strat

Then later talked about his favourite amps and today it is a Marshall Valve state 80 combo
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    WOW but it's also in the hands and approach! :)

Great song, great playing and different, especially at the time, note choices and patterns.

I believe he also played on Kirsty MacColl's 'Electric Landlady' album and I met him through work (nice, humble guy) and I think he's lived in the UK for a good few years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14309
    tFB Trader
    Kebabkid said:

Great song, great playing and different, especially at the time, note choices and patterns.

I believe he also played on Kirsty MacColl's 'Electric Landlady' album and I met him through work (nice, humble guy) and I think he's lived in the UK for a good few years.
    yes lived in the UK now for many years
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Always said to be Jimmy Page’s favourite solo. I’ve heard the Ampeg story before. 
    I saw Elliott do a blues gig years ago. I think what I remember most was he didn’t have a drummer but had a percussionist and I’ve fancied having a band like that ever since. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    Always said to be Jimmy Page’s favourite solo. I’ve heard the Ampeg story before. 
    I saw Elliott do a blues gig years ago. I think what I remember most was he didn’t have a drummer but had a percussionist and I’ve fancied having a band like that ever since. 
    yes he mentioned the Jimmy Page favourite solo story - or indeed J Walker did

I did hear once another story that there was 2 takes of this solo and Elliott states the other take was better - But can't recall now if it was lost, deleted or never recorded
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    Kebabkid said:

yes lived in the UK now for many years
    Yup, and I was there when a couple visits ago he joined Steely Dan on stage at the Hammersmith Apollo to play Reelin’ with them. Was the first encore of the evening and apparently the first time at the time they had played the “classic” arrangement in quite some time (they had been opening shows with a super-slowed-down jazz arrangement of it, with the backing singers doing the chorus...). 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Anyone know what his solo records are like?
    tFB Trader
    The other story he mentioned was he was offered the part in the Blues Bros, but turned it down - He was already working with John Belushi
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Really interesting story.   Just shows that’s it’s about the playing not the gear.     I’ve alwsys thought the sound was iffy but such a great melody and phrasing that you cant help but enjoy it.  
    tFB Trader
    John_P said:
    Really interesting story.   Just shows that’s it’s about the playing not the gear.     I’ve alwsys thought the sound was iffy but such a great melody and phrasing that you cant help but enjoy it.  
    agree about the tone - unique maybe, but not a voice I would aspire to 
  • He does a guest spot on an album by a British guitarist I like; Jules Carter.

Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    I actually saw his band Randall's Island, supporting someone I can't remember at the RAH. Might have been 10 Years After.
  • "Reelin' in the Years" overall was a big influence  for me.  It marked the second time I took guitar lessons and was my introduction to hammer ons and pull offs.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    I met him at the GBGS - and mistook him for someone else. That was really embarrassing
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    edited March 2019
    I have deleted my comment at the request of admins, and looking back at it it was rather crass , apologies to the fretboard and to mr randall himself. Kindest regards to all 

ADMIN EDIT: Potentially libellous comment removed, after a (justified) complaint from Mr Randall himself. Let's keep things "proper", chaps.