Fed up with heavy 1x12 combos - should I splurge on some neo creambacks?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Replace with a head & cab to spread the weight over 2 items. That's my preferred setup anyway. Plus I've had issues with valves rattling and going microphonic in combos, never had the same issue in heads. I just don't like combos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Just popped the Jensen (arrived this morning) in the Traynor for a quick strum at polite volumes - very very nice. Evens out the OTT bass on the traynor so the EQ can be set more sort of neutrally (which I hope translates to more range when it comes to mixing it with a band). Thanks @ICBM for the recommendation and I have to say hotrox have been pretty good keeping me up to date with the order.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    ICBM said:
    For the WEM I would look for an old Celestion G12L-20 or G12S-20 if you don't want to spend too much - period-appropriate, quite light due to the small magnets, and the tone really suits the amp.
    I picked up a G12L-35 (just happened to spot one cheap on eBay) and it's ok, nice home speaker, but a bit of cone cry between high B-F#, noticeable with jazzy neck pickup sounds.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited September 2018
    roberty said:
    Slight tangent but I got a G12 Century Vintage in the post today, which is also a neo magnet, picked up for a reasonable-ish price used.  It's a potential candidate for replacing a Celestion Creamback 75 in a DRRI combo.  The neo is 3kg lighter.  I can report back once I've had a blast if you like

https://celestion.com/product/14/g12_century_vintage/
    I have these..they're a tad ice-picky compared to real V30s but ive been using it as my main speaker for 5+ years.
    I have a slight variation of the G12 Century Vintage - 80w variant commissioned for Vox (dubbed 'Neodogs') rather than the normal 60w in my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX and AD212 extn cab (so, 4 in total & before anyone asks, these are definitely Century Vintage and not the more expensive 80w Century).  When it was brand new and the speakers were tight, they were a bit ice-picky.  But after a month or so of playing they warmed up a lot and the ice-pick quality improved enormously, but it took a good 3 months before the ice-pick quality went.  Unfortunately the amp is still a big heavy bugger at 58lbs and the AD212 is 43lbs, due to the closed-back baltic birch marine ply construction which is a lot heavier than the original AD120VT version. 

I did know someone who put the same speakers in his AD120VT (particle board) and it made a big weight saving dropping the weight (swapping out the stock Celestion seventy-eighties) by around 10lbs that made it way more manageable.  Unfortunately the 'Neodogs' didn't sound quite as good in his amp because of the open back particle-board construction which didn't give the same bottom end, but was still a big improvement over the stock speakers.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited September 2018
    "should I splurge on some neo creambacks?"... an odd choice of wank fodder, but hey - each to their own...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

You've confused "Splurge" with "Splooge".

Easy mistake to make...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I replaced the heavy speaker (G12 S303) of my Marshall 6100 combo with a neo CreamBack and I'm VERY happy, weight and soundwise...