I feel oddly well..

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16726
considering i had surgery on my face this morning.

Okay, it may pass if i forget to take my painkillers.

I have been having issues with my sinuses for a while.   Turns out that between a deviated septum, a few polyps and some oddly shaped sinuses I wan't able to breath that well, and the sinuses had no chance of draining at all.  I  had quite a low blood oxygen reading this morning before surgery.

So they removed a massive polyp from the right, a few smaller ones on the left and widened the sinuses to help drainage and keep me breathing  properly for longer if/when the polyps do return..   

I was expecting to wake up with tampons shoved up my nose, a bandage round my head and a couple of weeks to see the benefit.   Instead they went with soluble packs further up and left my airways clear.  So i can actually breath properly for the first time in a while and my blood oxygen shot up to 99/100 straight after surgery.   Instant improvement  :)

Then i got a really nice brunch of bubble and squeak, bacon and a poached egg.... thanks to the  Bupa scheme at work.   

I was actually hoping for an overnight stay. ;)

i expect it will get worse again as the swelling sets in... everything is starting to get a bit tighter across my face

Now I have to force myself to stay out the workshop for two weeks   :(
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    WezV said:

I was expecting to wake up with tampons shoved up my nose, a bandage round my head...

You need a the Bupa platinum package for that.

Get well soon.,
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Round here they seem to pass ENT stuff over to private facilities anyway.. on the nhs of course. 

I had smd and septoplasty a few years back, and felt great after. High as a kite actually. 

Couldnt breathe for a month and the surgery made no real difference to my issue, but the facilities were great!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16726
    edited August 2018
    skunkwerx said:
    Round here they seem to pass ENT stuff over to private facilities anyway.. on the nhs of course. 

i was originally booked in under NHS as when i first went it was fairly minor and didn't seem worth the hassle of Bupa when it was likely just going to be a course of steroids to reduce the polyps.  It spiralled a bit since then.

Anyway, we do have ENT at our NHS hospital.   The same consultant works for both, so it was really easy to transfer it over to Bupa once more work was needed.   (i did this once the Op got delayed by the NHS due to unforseen circumstances)...  I still had the options of either hospital

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    Fancy food.
    I had the worst roast dinner ever created on Sunday in hospital. Luckily I was discharged a couple of hours later and was able to have some toast. Probably the greatest pieces of toast in the history of toast.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    Fancy food.
    I had the worst roast dinner ever created on Sunday in hospital. Luckily I was discharged a couple of hours later and was able to have some toast. Probably the greatest pieces of toast in the history of toast.
    i took the pic for my wife as she spent 3 days in hospital after our last (and final) child was born.... the food was incredibly bad, like you would have to work hard to make it that way

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    WezV said:
    Reverend said:
    Fancy food.
    i took the pic for my wife as she spent 3 days in hospital after our last (and final) child was born.... the food was incredibly bad, like you would have to work hard to make it that way

Sounds like she spent 3 days in Gloucester Royal. We were readmitted 3 days after our sone was born for nearly 3 days, due to weight loss...Great service, unbelievably shit food. I'm really not a picky eater (love me some plane food), but this stuff was beyond bad and really not edible at all. 
  • You should notice a big difference having had surgery.

I had something similar done a few years ago.  I had a septum that looked like a letter S when it was X rayed.  I used to constantly get sinus infections and seem to be constantly on antibiotics because nothing could drain.  Afte4 the surgery I’ve hardly had anything more that a mild cold

It should make a real positive difference.

well that was a  lot  more reassuring than

skunkwerx said:

Couldnt breathe for a month and the surgery made no real difference to my issue, but the facilities were great!
    Thank you ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Get well soon ;-)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5383
    Get well soon!

Mrs Snags had polyps attended to on work-Bupa many years ago, and it was all great apart from the bit when the consultant described how they actually did it, which was eye-watering.

The less good news is that if you're prone to them they may well come back, so you could get to be a (hopefully in)frequent flyer ...
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, one of the women I manage had it done every 6 months as kid, and now she is 40 and maybe doing it again soon.  She is on steroids currently

i asked the consultant about it and his view is to expect them to return.  Could be 6 months, could be 10 years - but they will be back.  

The original reason he opted to do the FESS (Functional Endoscpoic Sinus Surgery) rather than just polypectomy is to buy time when they do return.  The CT scan confirmed it was needed for other reasons.

usually they try to manage them with steroids, spray first, then tablets.  I did the spray because it’s topical.   I have fluid build up behind my retina which will be aggravated if I take steroids.  It’s probably gone by now, but we didn’t want to risk it.   Turns out the big polyp on my right was far too big for steroids to have an affect anyway.

if/when they return we might be able to manage with steroids for a bit, assuming my eye behaves itself.  
    Sorry, it was steroid spray from the GP first whilst I waited for a consultation.  Then 4 weeks on stronger nasal drops before the option of tablets.  None of the topical ones worked, and my eye did get worse whilst on the drops (could be unrelated)

this follows on from multiple courses of antibiotics last year for a blocked eustacian tube that wouldn’t drain properly... my head has felt pretty heavy for the past year.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I hope you get over it soon.

Actually I have a problem with breathing, nothing has ever been diagnosed, I've never even brought it up with my GP. I can only breathe well through one side of my nose. I seem to have muddled through life without really thinking about it, it has always been the norm for me. I didn't ever consider it until that phase in the 90s when footballers would wear a strip across their nose to help them breathe better. I just remember thinking hmmnnn .... they must be breathing through their nose a lot more than I do! 
    WezV said:

well that was a  lot  more reassuring than

skunkwerx said:

Thank you ;)
    Haha oops! No, you’ll be fine man. 
    Nothing ever works smoothly for me so I went into it a conplete pessimist anyway but figured it was worth a shot! 

The hardest part was trying not to pick massive lumps of stuff out me nose... haha. 
    skunkwerx said:

The hardest part was trying not to pick massive lumps of stuff out me nose... haha. 
    Already there... finger went straight for my nose this morning :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

axisus said:
    I hope you get over it soon.

Actually I have a problem with breathing, nothing has ever been diagnosed, I've never even brought it up with my GP. I can only breathe well through one side of my nose. I seem to have muddled through life without really thinking about it, it has always been the norm for me. 
    I was the same until an obvious lump appeared in my nostril, but most of the issues were further up that that and will have been there years

its well worth getting a referral to ENT to check it out.
  • I had something similar done in 2012. My septum straightened and three large polyps "abraded" in my sinuses. It was done as a day op (under a general anaesthetic) at Guys. The cleaning routine was fun to learn (nasal irrigation) as were the blood clots that came out for a few days. After a fortnight I was back to normal except I could now breath through my nose properly and no longer snored. 

You don't realise how much a condition like this is affecting your life until it's gone. 
    WezV said:
    skunkwerx said:

Already there... finger went straight for my nose this morning :)
    Lol! 

Its so grim, but man, the relief is bliss when it starts clearing.

Heres a funny tip.. if like me your nose fully blocks up for a while and you become a mouth breather... remember to take in enough air before drinking and eating large amounts.. 

Sounds so basic, but more than once I was halfway through a mouthful of something** and remembered I needed air haha.

**Sustenance, not genitalia.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom