Buying from the USA via Reverb?

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23082
Just having a random Google tonight, I stumbled on a pretty rare (and pricey) guitar I've been after for a quite a while.

Trouble is, it's on Reverb... and I've never bought from there before.  The seller is in the USA, has minimal feedback, only this one item for sale and the guitar has been listed for several months.  That said, looking at his previous sales the pictures were all taken in the same location so it seems legit, as far as I can tell.

I've bought loads from eBay, from all over the world, over the years and I don't suppose Reverb is really much different, but it feels uncomfortable because it's unknown territory.

Anyone bought from the USA via Reverb before?  How good is the buyer protection?  I need reassurance....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    It’s fine -  I had a problem with something pretty pricey I bought from the US via Reverb and they were very helpful and my ‘case’ was assigned to one particular guy who acted as an intermediary between the seller and I. Eventually it was bought to a satisfactory conclusion and. I got a partial refund. They are good and they won’t leave you hanging, they seem pretty proactive. The customs fees and vat are the real kickers buying from the US 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Have bought from the States, Japan and Australia on Reverb, all with no problem. Reverb is decent, and you also have the buyer protection built into PayPal. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    It’s fine -  I had a problem with something pretty pricey I bought from the US via Reverb and they were very helpful and my ‘case’ was assigned to one particular guy who acted as an intermediary between the seller and I. Eventually it was bought to a satisfactory conclusion and. I got a partial refund. They are good and they won’t leave you hanging, they seem pretty proactive. The customs fees and vat are the real kickers buying from the US 
    Yip, I had a similar experience and Reverb customer service were excellent in helping out - even though the seller was not interested in reaching any kind of resolution.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23082
    Only a partial refund?  Is that because you ultimately kept the item but it wasn't quite as described?
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    @iain.reverb is of course on here and I'm sure he'll reassure you.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2018
    Philly_Q said:
    Only a partial refund?  Is that because you ultimately kept the item but it wasn't quite as described?
    Yes, it arrived safely but it was a fairly old guitar and some of the tuners were knackered, which wasn’t mentioned in the description - which is why I requested a partial refund.  I just had to swap them out for some new ones of the same type and it was fine.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9378
    Only thing to be aware of is that you only have 7 days to raise a dispute. I had a pedal delivered when I was on holiday and it was faulty, reverb didn’t want to know as I didn’t raise it until day 8. The seller knew it was faulty, quoted the 7 day rule and I was stuffed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not specifically related to Reverb ....

Without knowing the specs of the guitar, possibly worth waving the CITES flag - Mark from Guitars4You, and others, would be able to advise in detail.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    I've bought guitars on Reverb on 5 occasions now from the States, 4 of which had Rosewood fingerboards. Never an issue.

The longest I had to wait for one of the sellers CITES guy to do his thing with the paperwork was 5 days. The others have been done in 2 or 3 days. I've actually just bought a guitar direct from Reverb themselves, they had it in their office in Chicago, and again a Rosewood neck, and this time only 1 day for CITES to be completed and guitar to be dispatched.

Like others have said, you've got paypal as protection as well. I can highly recommend.

• Philly_Q said:
    Just having a random Google tonight, I stumbled on a pretty rare (and pricey) guitar I've been after for a quite a while.

Trouble is, it's on Reverb... and I've never bought from there before.  The seller is in the USA, has minimal feedback, only this one item for sale and the guitar has been listed for several months.  That said, looking at his previous sales the pictures were all taken in the same location so it seems legit, as far as I can tell.

I've bought loads from eBay, from all over the world, over the years and I don't suppose Reverb is really much different, but it feels uncomfortable because it's unknown territory.

Anyone bought from the USA via Reverb before?  How good is the buyer protection?  I need reassurance....
    I've you need me to take a look at anything for you drop me a PM
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23082

Thanks for the advice and comments gents.  CITEs shouldn't be an issue as there's no rosewood involved.

@iain.reverb ; I will send you a PM, although there's no particular problem.  Thanks!