Bias pot for princeton.

What's Hot
jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
Hi Folks, Any one know about putting a bias pot in without drilling any holes in the chassis of an original blackface Princeton reverb.

I am going to get the tech to replace the cap can also.  Anybody know where i can buy the suitable parts.

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3175
    tFB Trader
    Modulus stocks the direct replacement cap can (Mallory) that works really well and any competent tech can install a non-invasive bias pot

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Overkill I am sure others will say but I would use a fully enclosed multiturn trimmer (Maplin USED to have them!) . Mounted on a piece of stripboard  (aka Vero) then fix that in using heavy gauge solid copper wire, internal of TV coax is perfek.

Make sure it is wired so that a fail "open" gives maximum bias volts not minimum!

Dave.

• Thanks guys, will order 2 x cap cans from modulus.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Just a quick point, the can capacitor used in the Princeton is multi section, (20/20/20/20 uF), you don't need two. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    I fit Piher trim pots for bias adjustment, they are big enough to not be too fiddly, but small enough to be fitted directly on the board
    tFB Trader
    Why do you want to install a bias pot anyway? The amp has survived 50+ years without one and I bet it hasn’t suffered because of it ;)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I am getting the cap cans done, as they are the original ones, and just want to be able to bias my amps myself, with my bias probe.

Also one sounds a bit gravelly to me probably a cold bias.

@Modulus_Amps  ; do you sell them phier on your site?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    RiftAmps said:
    Why do you want to install a bias pot anyway? The amp has survived 50+ years without one and I bet it hasn’t suffered because of it ;)
    Exactly.

The Princeton is not a high-stress circuit for 6V6s - by guitar amp standards anyway - and biasing is not critical as long as it’s in the right range.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Exactly.

The Princeton is not a high-stress circuit for 6V6s - by guitar amp standards anyway - and biasing is not critical as long as it’s in the right range.
    One side-effect of home biasing a PR is the inevitable e-mail to a tech enquiring why the tremolo is now weaker :)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Exactly.

One side-effect of home biasing a PR is the inevitable e-mail to a tech enquiring why the tremolo is now weaker :)
    But how would you know until you have tried?
    Most guys that build kits want adjustable bias, I suppose to satisfy themselves that they have the amp tweaked just the way they want it. there is no harm in doing it even if not needed and is part of the learning experience.

@jacksparrow yes I do have some Piher trimmers, they are also available at other electronic suppliers. depends on what value you want to fit.