Captain meets Jennifer Batten

What's Hot
EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
edited August 2018 in Guitar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Nicey. I love these long videos, I always stick them on when I’m either shaving my head or taking a long dump, to help make the mundane task more enjoyable! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Thanks for the link - I love her playing, especially the crazy 8 finger tapping.  She adds in some nice Beckish whammy work too.  Great stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    skunkwerx said:
    Nicey. I love these long videos, I always stick them on when I’m either shaving my head or taking a long dump, to help make the mundane task more enjoyable! 

You should form a band with her and do a GG Allin type act
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited August 2018
    oh not Jenson Button at all then...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Watched it in bits, she comes across really well. Always interesting to see what a working professional guitarist uses, almost low rent gear by the standards of guitar forums. Although she might have a room full of 59 Les Pauls at home for all I know. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10496
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    You have to admire her as a women who made a big mark in an exceptionally male dominated area
    She's a damn good role model for any women wanting to become guitar players ... wish there were more, might counteract some of the testosterone fueled spats so common on forums ;-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 139
    I particularly liked how down to earth and sometimes vulnerable she came across as being.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Not a bad guitarist, I'd say!
  • westwest Frets: 996
    I bought her REH book / cassette tape ...two handed rock ... all those years ago ... she seems like a great person ... she must be about 60 now ..
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Cor - she got to meet Derek Smalls!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I’ve mentioned this before but I saw her playing a pub in Putney once. There were 14 in the audience. She came out and chatted at the interval and I asked how she felt about playing in front of such a small audience when she’d done stadium gigs with Michael Jackson. She said it was fine: she liked the connection and the intimacy “it’s like playing for friends in my home”. 
    She was actually more interested in talking about her new hobby: she was getting into art glass and doing fusing and slumping work. 

Incredible guitarist and technically superb. I’m not sure I’d want to listen to too much of her own material though; it’s the usual problem of gifted musicians not necessarily being the best songwriters. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Very engaging person, thanks for the link
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26628
    Watched it in bits, she comes across really well. Always interesting to see what a working professional guitarist uses, almost low rent gear by the standards of guitar forums. Although she might have a room full of 59 Les Pauls at home for all I know. 
    As Lee said on there...lots of pro guitarists - particularly pro touring guitarists - are making use of the tech available to shrink their rigs. Sure, a lot of them have the massive rigs sitting at home, but these days it's getting more and more common to see a Helix, Kemper or AxeFX on stage with the bigger bands. Rigs like that are always a compromise, but it seems that pros are willing to accept a slight loss of awesome tone in order to save money and their backs.

And...nobody in the audience ever seems to feel cheated by it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    That was an awesome watch. Before I knew it the hour had gone by..
    Fair play to Lee, he could have easily milked the mj /female guitarist thing for an hour, but he made a real effort to cover everything 
  • Great watch.....although does she have a deal with cash converters for her guitars? Awful looking thing,despite the fact she can no doubt make it sing. Never seen one of those damper thingys though. I was wondering what that was.
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    She is definitely a talented player & I have seen several videos of her playing in different styles.
    I much prefer her jazzy/bluesy playing though as virtuoso shredding leaves me pretty cold TBH.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Saw her in Jeff Beck's group, RFH 2001. Fantastic stuff.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    truly inspirational ...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    As Lee said on there...lots of pro guitarists - particularly pro touring guitarists - are making use of the tech available to shrink their rigs. Sure, a lot of them have the massive rigs sitting at home, but these days it's getting more and more common to see a Helix, Kemper or AxeFX on stage with the bigger bands. Rigs like that are always a compromise, but it seems that pros are willing to accept a slight loss of awesome tone in order to save money and their backs.

And...nobody in the audience ever seems to feel cheated by it.

When I saw her she was using one of her own modded Washburns, into a fairly cheap Digitech multiFx floor unit plugged straight into the PA, no amp. She was playing over backing tracks that were synched to a film projected on the wall behind her, everything for that was done via a laptop as far as I could see.