Reverb, changing needs and what to go for?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    vale said:

another interesting one os the boss re20 space echo thing. it's a bit overblown (huge box and two pedals) for what it does, but sounds pretty good and actually has some of the charcter of the space echo. worth looking out for if you have a boss affection.
    The RE-20 is fantastic - it nails the sound of both the tape echo and the characteristic tinny reverb (bad, but in a good way!) really accurately, without the size, noise and mechanical wear issues of the original unit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    IIRC the new Fender reverb pedal has shimmer and it's £94. 

With the TC stuff you have the toneprints and editor so you'll probably get there even if you don't like it straight out if the box. Depends if you like the fiddling. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3231
    Thanks for the sheer wealth of info there folks in particular @vale -that is super detailed. 

@EricTheWeary I’m definitely a plug in and play sort, though I like fiddling with pedals, the last thing I want is fiddling with tone prints and faffing with the computer.

I hadn’t realised digitech had closed to business, that might explain why the polara is only £104 on Amazon at the moment -think I’ll prime it, can always send it back if it doesn’t suit.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    Thanks for the sheer wealth of info there folks in particular @vale -that is super detailed. 

@EricTheWeary I’m definitely a plug in and play sort, though I like fiddling with pedals, the last thing I want is fiddling with tone prints and faffing with the computer.

I hadn’t realised digitech had closed to business, that might explain why the polara is only £104 on Amazon at the moment -think I’ll prime it, can always send it back if it doesn’t suit.
    re the digitech close, that's what i read here (sometime within the last month i think). i had a quick look for the post but couldn't see it under an obvious title, but may have been something vague "you'll never guess what..." or "shocking news..." etc.

anyway, i'm not great with the search function but you may be able to find it that way if interested in the detail. it's a shame.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    I’d go used for a Polara, probably 60 quid and you’re not going to lose much on resale. They are good sounding pedals, if you can live with the frankly terrible graphics. Built like tanks too. 

I’m not sure Digitech are closing as such but their parent company was sold and the new owners promptly fired all the pedal dev staff. Not sure if that means they are giving up on the whole deal.
    Polara now on order with Amazon, let’s see how it holds up. Anyone fancy taking a boss frv-1 and Mosky spring reverb off my hands before I post them in the classifieds feel free to pm me.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    I’d go used for a Polara, probably 60 quid and you’re not going to lose much on resale. They are good sounding pedals, if you can live with the frankly terrible graphics. Built like tanks too.
    totally agree with moe on the polara. regularly found in classifieds here. may be the right time to get one in if you want to try one, bearing in mind there may not be another run.
    I’m not sure Digitech are closing as such but their parent company was sold and the new owners promptly fired all the pedal dev staff. Not sure if that means they are giving up on the whole deal.
    dug out the thread from tgp in my bookmarks as can't find the recent one here.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/heads-up-digitech-istomp-users.1867339/page-5

tom and team would be crazy to leave stompbox designing altogether, a hugely original and inspiring force in the effects universe. laying off nothing to do with their performance as a team, just corporate boardroom bull.

but it may be case that rights to their pedals to date are transferred to the new parent company as part of the severence deal, in which case those designs may be left to gather dust while less inspiring but more lucrative in-house product is promoted.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    I have Wampler Ethereal and it’s constantly on. I see you have already ordered a pedal but maybe something to look at in the future.
    bassbora said:
    I have Wampler Ethereal and it’s constantly on. I see you have already ordered a pedal but maybe something to look at in the future.
    Will definitely check it out. 

First impressions of the Polara are fairly positive. The spring reverb isn’t as good as the frv1, but it doesn’t need to be, my Princeton reverb does that. For the ethereal modulated stuff it sounds gorgeous, I’m looking forward to trying it live.

So Boss FRV1 and Mosky Spring will definitely be hitting the classifieds shortly.