Squire jazzmaster

What's Hot
I'm considering going to buy a deluxe tomorrow but not sure if to get the hardtail or trem model. 

Pro's and cons for an amateur please.

Obviously I realise you can't use the trem on the hardtail more thinking tuning stability on either etc...

Cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The hardtail wont produce all the overtones you get from a "normal" Jazzmaster. 
    That can be a blessing or a curse. 
    For me the overtones are what makes the guitar sound so special. Its all that extra harmonic content sprinkling extra lovelyness over everything you play. 
    However I think for a lot of people its what they struggle with. 

As always, play both and buy the one you prefer. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm tempted by the trem version.
    The hardtail just looks wrong to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Will be following this thread with interest. . ;)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited August 2018
    I'd rather have a jazz shaped Revelation. Nicer feel and sounds better plus the regular style trem feels less weird.

I've played this model and it was excellent 
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/292683113357

Or depending where you live:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/232889361650
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    Definitely go for the trem version. Though I doubt it’s as good as a US or mastery version, the jazz/jag trem is a masterpiece in my opinion, I personally love them. This would be a great way for you to get used to their nuances. Factor in a bridge upgrade to a staytrem and you’ll have a lot of fun!
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    gringopig said:
    Hmm but the Squier Jazzmaster Deluxe has an 'Adjusto-matic bridge' and I'm not sure if that functions like the proper rocking 2 point bridge.
    You might be a lot better off getting a Vintage Modified

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/alternative-body-guitars/squier-vintage-modified-jazzmaster-in-olympic-white-indian-laurel-fingerboard

Looks much more like a proper JM
    As much as I don't like adjusto matic bridges on fenders I would probably take it over a stock JM bridge, even if it is made out of pig iron and plasticine. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    I’m with @gringopig on this, go down the vintage modified route, get a Staytrem and then see if a jazzmaster works for you. They are great guitars!
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    I have the deluxe jazzmaster with the trem. It's an excellent guitar.

I find the trems on these squier pretty good, with none of the loose trem arm syndrome which has plagued some of my other more expensive offsets (although easily remedied thanks to staytrem).

My only annoyance with the deluxe is the adjustomatic bridge, it doesn't rock as others have said and this will always be a problem if you use a trem frequently/heavily. Staytrem no longer make their version of the bridge and the other versions won't fit in this guitar. I was going to get a roller bridge but people have had mixed success trying to find one that fits.

My advice would be if you're a heavy trem user go and get the VM Jazzmaster instead.
  • SaszSasz Frets: 10
    I think Staytrem do still make their adjustomatic replacement bridge, they've just temporarily stopped taking orders for it.

From their site:

AOM replacement bridge availability:
    There has been an overwhelming demand for the AOM replacement bridge and there are advance orders for all our production up till October.

When we have cleared the backlog of orders they will be available again.

Sasz said:
    I think Staytrem do still make their adjustomatic replacement bridge, they've just temporarily stopped taking orders for it.

From their site:

AOM replacement bridge availability:
    There has been an overwhelming demand for the AOM replacement bridge and there are advance orders for all our production up till October.

When we have cleared the backlog of orders they will be available again.

That's good to know, thanks.  I didn't checked the status message because on the many J Mascis Jazzmaster threads on this subject, people were implying that Staytrem weren't making the AOM model anymore.

I've been waiting for one of those bass VI bridges to come back in stock, same message for those too.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The simplest solution to the TOM bridge on the J Mascis JM and Deluxe is to use a direct-replacement with roller saddles. Replaces the rocking action of a traditional JM bridge and has none of the problems of the string snagging on a regular TOM saddle. Got them on both my JM JMs.
    dogload said:
    The simplest solution to the TOM bridge on the J Mascis JM and Deluxe is to use a direct-replacement with roller saddles. Replaces the rocking action of a traditional JM bridge and has none of the problems of the string snagging on a regular TOM saddle. Got them on both my JM JMs.
    Do you have a link to the one you bought at all?  The problem has been that people have been taking a punt and buying the no brand/wilkinson roller bridges from various different sources and most of the time they don't fit, a few have lucked out and got a good fit.

The other issue is that as those roller bridges are mainly designed for Les Paul/Gibson type models you're going to have the same radius mismatch that you get with the stock bridge.  This bothers me less than the lack of rocking motion though.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    You can drill out the rivets holding the bridge posts on a Staytrem and just sit it on the adjustomatic posts. Works great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You can drill out the rivets holding the bridge posts on a Staytrem and just sit it on the adjustomatic posts. Works great.

That's thinking outside of the box, nice!

Nice guitar by the way. They really should do another run of those, pity Squier decided to move away from artist models.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    I’d go for the tremolo model. A hard tail Jazzmaster just ain’t right. I know that people complain about the bridges on them but I’ve got both a Jazzmster and a Jaguar and I’ve never had a problem with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    edited August 2018
    For around £20 more than the Deluxe Model, I would go for the Vintage Modified range.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-jazzmaster-in-olympic-white-indian-laurel-fingerboard
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:
    For around £20 more than the Deluxe Model, I would go for the Vintage Modified range.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-jazzmaster-in-olympic-white-indian-laurel-fingerboard
    I suppose the caveat to that is that the deluxe will be a higher quality guitar for slightly cheaper.

But I agree, having had both I'd go for the VM too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks all I really appreciate the help!!!. Glad I asked..