Am I ok to do this - fender HRDX content

What's Hot
benvallbenvall Frets: 83
I know this maybe better placed at the tc electronic forum but I'm not a member there and there are some very wise people here so I thought I'd ask.

So, I have a fender hotrod deluxe, a Marshall jmp1 pre amp, a G system and a nova drive.

Currently, I mainly use the nova drive in loop one of the G system and run into the front of the HDRX.

I've read that the jmp1 can be placed in one of the G system's loops and used almost as a pedal.

Could I use the HRDX's pre amp in one of the G's loops? For example, loop 1 - nova drive, loop 2 - HRDX pre amp and loop 3 - jmp1.

Therefore, I could use loop 1 and 2 together and loop 3 on its own.

Is this safe to do (as long as I get the levels right), I don't want to kill the amp?

I hope people can follow this, if I get a chance I'll draw a picture as it'll make more sense that way. I just don't want to damage the amp. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Yes, but be very careful you don't ever switch on the JMP1 loop at the same time as the HRD preamp loop - you'll then essentially be running a distortion generator (the JMP1) in the FX loop of the amp, which is a bad idea and can cause damage.

It is quite rare, but one of the exact examples I've come across of a preamp (a Roland GP100 if I remember right) in the loop killing an amp was with a Blues Deluxe, which has the same loop as the HRD - it can cause feedback (outside the range of human hearing) via the amp and blow the loop circuitry.

If you're only ever running *either* the HRD preamp or the JMP1, it should be safe to use the Nova Drive as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    Thanks @ICBM have another wisdom. so if there is a delay in the loops switching between each other would this be an issue?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    benvall said:
    Thanks @ICBM have another wisdom. so if there is a delay in the loops switching between each other would this be an issue?
    Not if there's a silent delay - ie one goes off before the other comes on - but possibly if one comes on before the other goes off.

I don't know what the time interval before the chip blew was when the amp was run like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein