New slim neck Acoustic advice please

What's Hot
Hi 
im looking to buy an acoustic under £500 - I find fretting some chords awkward due to slightly shorter fingers - I’m in UK 
amy advice for a lovely sounding guitar ? Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Yamahas have fairly slim necks, try and find a stockist near you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Many thanks for the advice 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11918
    narrow or slim?

I don't know what the answer will result in recommendations for, it's just there's 2 different ways to address shorter fingers I assume?
  • Hi - which are ? 
    Do you want a narrow nut, or a thin neck (i.e. less distance from front to back)?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    I've been through the same issue as you and I've ended up with a 1966 Epiphone Caballero [equivalent to the Gibson LG0] and the small neck on it is perfect for me. The nut is just under 40mm, the back profile is really slim.
    and as someone mentioned in your other thread, length of scale is important
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/138202/new-slim-neck-acoustic-advice-please#latest

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited August 2018
    Ok, a quick guide with regard to comfort (note that some of the below may have a tonal impact but im focusing on feel only):

Neck profile (this is the cross sectional shape of the neck, commonly referred to as D/C/V/U depending on the shape, you can think of it in terms of the depth of the neck)
    Nut width (this is the width of the fretboard at the nut. Usually on acoustics it is 1 11/16" or 1 3/4". Some people find either more comfy than the other. This is something to test for yourself)
    Neck width (this would be the width across the neck - effectively the fretting surface, This could be wider or slimmer depending on personal preference. As such a neck could be described as both narrow in width but with a deep profile etc)
    Scale Length (This is the distance between the bridge and the nut, usually either 25.5" or 24.75". The shorter the scale the closer the frets are to each other, and thus the easier long stretches become. Note that with larger hands this can make fretting more difficult)
    String Gauge (This is usually higher for acoustics than electrics. A lighter gauge usually means that they are easier on your hands when fretting - less pressure required to fret a note)
    Setup/Action etc (Guitars can be adjusted to play better, one effect of which might be reducing the distance between the string and frets, meaning again that less effort is required to fret a note).

That's probably enough to get you started!:)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I must confess to not being that knowledgable re nuts and necks etc - it’s the ability to reach for certain chords - I assume a thinner neck 
  • I’ve no idea how I ended up with two threads !?! Sorry 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    You might find that it comes more naturally once you’ve stretched into it a bit with muscle memory
  • Many thanks - for all advice 
    terada- great guide ta 
    Hurleycat said:
    Many thanks - for all advice 
    terada- great guide ta 
    Good thread too - thanks!
    Nice to see a newcomer come in, post a sensible thread, respond, and say thanks afterwards. Nice one OP - good job.
  • Kind words thanks Bridgehouse 
    edited August 2018
    Hurleycat said:
    Kind words thanks Bridgehouse 
    No worries - stick around, we are mostly a friendly bunch and there’s a load of really knowledgable guys (and gals!) on here 
  • I will - I’m pleasantly surprised at the help already! 
    Hurleycat said:
    I will - I’m pleasantly surprised at the help already! 
    That’s great to hear! You’ll always get help and advice on here 
    Hurleycat said:
    I must confess to not being that knowledgable re nuts and necks etc - it’s the ability to reach for certain chords - I assume a thinner neck 
    you can't be sure that thinner will be better I think, I find very thin necks harder to play - it's the distance between your thumb and fingers, whereas wide necks are always going to stretch your fingers more
    I am used to classical guitars (52mm =  2 inch nut), most acoustics are 1.75 inch at the nut, some are 1 and 11/16 inches, and a small number are 1 and 7/8 inches, which I quite like for some styles.

http://www.jazzyacousticguitar.com/neck-width/

as people have said, a shorter scale would be easier. I have some very long scale guitars, and although I like them, I find it is impossible to play some pieces on them, because the frets are so far apart

Try to find a used guitar that has already been professionally set up, it will be much easier to play 
    Usually, the problem is that : 
    • a new guitar has the slots in the nut not cut deep enough (it's a skilled job to get it right, and overdoing it makes the guitar unplayable, so many factories err on the side of caution and leave it so that the string is too high)
    • the saddle at the bridge is too high, for the same reason
    It's about £15 tor £30 to get this sorted I think
  • Great thanks v much