P90s for Les Paul advice needed

daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
edited August 2018 in Guitar
My son has a 2013 50s tribute LP, which is a stunning guitar but as his playing has evolved he’s now decided that the stock Gibson P90s don’t have enough clarity for him.
Any suggestions for replacements to look at? I’ve never been a P90 player so cant offer any advice
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Oil city pickups no question about it. Ash made me a stunning P90 for my junior. Give him a call.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Which model though? I’m interested in the model people have used, magnet, winds etc
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Ash made me a Nightwatch alnico 2 p90 for me. After a discussion with him about what I was after, he recommended that specific model. He makes 5 different types of P90'S all tweakable to the customers requirements.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Usually stock Gibson P90s are very good. If not go for Seymour Duncan Hot P90s , some
    of the very best tones ever
    blueskunk said:
    Usually stock Gibson P90s are very good. If not go for Seymour Duncan Hot P90s , some
    of the very best tones ever
    I agree, personally I thought they sounded great, proper growl that really appeals to me. The lad however, I think he’s in a bit of a dilemma in that he likes loads of different sounds and hasn’t found his sound yet. I’ve supggested the fault may lie in the amp sounds he’s using.
    markj said:
    Ash made me a Nightwatch alnico 2 p90 for me. After a discussion with him about what I was after, he recommended that specific model. He makes 5 different types of P90'S all tweakable to the customers requirements.
    Cheers, I shall have a look at that. Alnico II is my personal fave in humbuckers