Ethos overdrive?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
I can see lot of posts of people buying and sellling these on here but not a lot of discussion.     I’m very tempted but would be interested to hear what people think or similar preamp pedals.  

I like the sound clips I’ve heard - really nice cleans and a great lead tone that dumblish and can be a little plexi.  
Handy speaker sim and boost.  

I'm less keen on the size of them and looks like they are fussy about power - I’m using a TRex chameleon at the moment which might work.   

Any thoughts or other similar options?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I used an Ethos overdrive for a number of years. Sounds are as you describe. It replaced a Hermida Zendrive which was great for Dumblesque tones but the Ethos was more flexible in its range of sounds.

Yes, they are quite a lump but I had mine mounted on a Pedaltrain Classic Junior, which was OK. Power-wise they only draw about 35mA IIRC so they will easily do a whole gig or more on a PP3 battery. I had mine powered on the board by a Hot Stone Deluxe but if I wanted to use the Ethos away from the board for any period I also had an 18v 830mA wall wart that came from Stomp Box (aka EffectPowerSupplies). At that time Custom Tones stipulated an 18v regulated supply but now their web site says 12v so maybe they've modified the newer models? Strangely they suggest a 500mA supply even though the current draw is far less. I think the Chameleon 18v output is 150mA which might be enough.

The only optional extra mine had was the TLE switch which was particularly useful for tightening up the lower end of an ES-335 but not really necessary for Fenders. Since then they have been offering several extra cost options.

The boost does increase the volume but only really boosts the mid frequencies for a very focused sound that IMO works best with heavily overdriven sounds. I didn't particularly like that sound so instead used a clean volume boost pedal with the Ethos. On odd occasions I used the Ethos straight into the PA using the speaker sim output and GAC switch which was OK-ish but no substitute for running the Ethos through a decent amp - despite what Custom Tones say ;) However, those settings do seem to suit direct to computer recording judging by online examples.

If I ever needed an Ethos again I'd probably opt for the similarly sized Ethos Amp and use it just with one decent 1x12 cab.

I've no idea what they cost new now but a good used one will probably be around £325. If you can get one below £300 you'll be doing well. The only thing similar really is the Van Weelden Royal Overdrive which is even bigger and, I believe, more expensive. For simple Dumblesque sounds you can't really go wrong with a Zendrive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    @Jimbro66 pretty much covers my experience with it. 

It’s a good pedal for sure, but I sold it and don’t miss it. I could be tempted by the smaller footprint pedals if I get the itch/have the spare cash...

The Van Weelden is another great pedal. Sounded and felt different under the fingers to the Ethos though. I found the Van Weelden very hi-fi and slick and it really nails that Robben Ford ‘Talk To Your Daugter’ era tone. The JRAD Dude does really well for this too at a much cheaper price. 

The Zendrive is often the go to pedal for the Dumble thing (although I actually prefer the Dopefx Everything Zen!). I find this more ‘open’ sounding and versatile than the others mentioned. 

Back to the Ethos, I liked it in front of an amp. Didn’t think much of the speaker sim though after doing some direct recording with it. I much prefer using my Kingsley overdrives and a speaker sim for going direct. 
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    edited August 2018
    I’ve had one a few years now. I think they do one where it’s just the clean channel which is what I’d get as the other parts didn’t get used much. I found that an ep booster plus a d style overdrive (I use a tanabe one) covers much of the same ground in a smaller package.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks chaps.    I bought one - so hopefully it will match up to the online clips.     
    I used to gig with a zen drive and liked that but the ethos looks like a step forward even though it will be a right fit putting it on a board.  
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9543
    Ethos clean channel is truly amazing... drive side average, imho
  • Firstly, the Ethos is the single best guitar-related purchase I have ever made - I will be buried with mine.

Secondly, the trick when combining it with a Zendrive is to put the Zen before the Ethos, then use a subtle amount of overdrive in the Ethos dirty channel, so you get;

1) Ethos Clean - aka; the greatest noise ever.
    2) Ethos Dirty - bit of a saucy lift.
    3) Zendrive > Ethos Clean - Staggeringly polished overdrive.
    4) Zendrive > Ethos Dirty (with Gain now on max) - Incendiary, paint-peeling fuzz.

...plus, you've still got the Boost function for added tonal flexibility - and all of those sounds are just one or two button presses away.

Oh, and; the other day I accidentally turned the Clean channel's Gain knob up to maximum and nearly had a Gentleman's Moment! Naturally compressed, breathey, saturation of the gods. Just magnificent.

I need another Ethos now...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom