The Helix Rat

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
I have never liked rats. 
Lat night I was searching for a sound, flixed through the Helix OD/FUZZ emulations, found the sound I liked and was shocked to see it was a RAT emulation. Sounded massive.

So is it a good emulation? I'd kind of like to try a real one now? What Rats apart from the ProCo ones are good? The Proco rat is not so easy to get here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    The old Line 6 DM-4 Rat model is great, so I assume the Helix one is too. I was playing with the Helix Native trial over the weekend, didn't spot the Rat. Which model is it, might try it tonight.

The Rat is one of my favourite pedals, though it is quite touchy - easy to make it sound too fizzy, you really need to work the filter knob in conjunction with getting the gain just right for the part. But when it works, it's perfect.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    @Cirrus it's called vermin od I think
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28574
    No idea how it compares to a real RAT, but it's my favourite overdrive/distortion pedal in the Helix. With the Industrial Fuzz just after.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 760
    I have never liked rats. 
    Lat night I was searching for a sound, flixed through the Helix OD/FUZZ emulations, found the sound I liked and was shocked to see it was a RAT emulation. Sounded massive.

So is it a good emulation? I'd kind of like to try a real one now? What Rats apart from the ProCo ones are good? The Proco rat is not so easy to get here.
    I tried it back to back with my whiteface rat and it wasn’t all that close - not a million miles away either and certainly a cool sound.

Real one was less compressed, less smooth, less gain, more top end definition - subtle, not massive differences mind! L6 version was more 80s hair than 90s grunge, if that makes sense? A Rat 2 might be closer though would be interested in hearing others’ thoughts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27158
    I found the Helix Rat a bit too harsh and trebly compared to my 2 Rats (early 00’s Rat2 and pedalparts kit build). Well worth trying a real one though - they’re great pedals
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I found the Helix Rat a bit too harsh and trebly compared to my 2 Rats (early 00’s Rat2 and pedalparts kit build). Well worth trying a real one though - they’re great pedals
    Hmm . now this could be it. I have found rats to be a bit dull and smooth before, the helix one has a bit of bite, which I like.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You can always check out a mooer blacksecret. 
    It's not a million miles away from a rat and has a few options. It's 25 quid used usually
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it’s modelled in an original Rat they had, the white face and Rat 2 are both a bit smoother
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2331
    have an old rat 2 a black secret and the line 6 hx.   I don't like the vermin on the HX much.    The Mooer is decent tho and for the money a no brainer.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27158
    Hmm . now this could be it. I have found rats to be a bit dull and smooth before, the helix one has a bit of bite, which I like.
    FWIW my pedalparts one with LM308N chip is a bit bitier (is that a word?) than my Rat2, so you may still like the circuit, just not the current production of stock Rat2 pedals. 

I actually like the You Dirty Rat best - germanium diodes instead of silicon, which gives a hint more “old fuzz & amp” to the tone rather than the excellent but quite harsh regular Rat soun
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I've got a Jam Rattler on my board and it sounds fantastic. It has the NOS LM308N chip in it as well.

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/jam-rattler-618038
    I've got a Jam Rattler on my board and it sounds fantastic. It has the NOS LM308N chip in it as well.

Got any clips of it?
    It's not a million miles away from a rat and has a few options. It's 25 quid used usually
    Good shout. Might do that.
  • I've got a Jam Rattler on my board and it sounds fantastic. It has the NOS LM308N chip in it as well.

Got any clips of it?
    Not of me playing it (wouldn’t inflict that on anyone), but I found this, comparing the Rattler to a stock Rat 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDJOmfjDHUQ
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I've got one I can do for £25, PM for details :)