CF rod reinforcement query

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    GSP - sorry, i was typing above reply when you posted yours and missed it.
    I have ordered the rods anyway, so we'll see. Perhaps with using ripple maple, the normal strength of QS timber will be attenuated a little. And it will only be a 30" scale too, probably a 16-19 fret body join.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    Hmmm, and that rather depends on which timber is being used, doesnt it?
    Thing is, i dont have time (3-necked ukulele plus bass guitar for Chrimbo) to get it wrong, so am trying to cover 60 6everything before I start.
    So. Should I just go with the box section and hope for the best (rippled maple for bass neck and maple or afromosia for uke)?

Cheers,
    Adam

Surely a ukulele  would never need its neck stiffening, I'm not even sure if you really need a truss rod in one. I've built a few ukuleles put truss rods in them, but the rod was always in neutral. The last ukulele I built was 15 inch scale, see photo below. 

No, it doesn't really depend on what wood your using. Any wood that suitable to make a guitar neck will always be stronger if it's quartersawn.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Ok. All excellent advice, thank you :)
    The cf rod for the uke was in place of a truss rod as one neck will be baritone and one guitarlele scale. The 2 concert ukes Ive built so far were both made without any reinforcement.
    Cheers,
    Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16706
    The hollow one will be less stiff than a solid bar, but still a lot stiffer than nothing at all.   It helps to avoid going too stiff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom