Xotic USA Brass Connectors - "Tonal Difference"

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10893
Brass sounds better. Why? First, steel plugs create a “hump” around the 2-3k area - brass plugs have a more linear response

Sounds like audio snake oil to me (rampant in the hifi world)

Anyone care to chime in?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Full text:

New Xotic All-Brass™ Cables are here! But why use brass plugs over steel plugs?

Traditionally in the audio world, manufacturers have used brass for audio plugs because of its malleable and sonically pleasing properties. For the past 15 years guitar cable manufactures started making audio plugs out of steel and artists have taken that to be the norm for patch cables. As brass becomes more expensive companies have stopped using brass because of the increase in cost - however brass is still the best metal for connection plugs.

Brass sounds better. Why? First, steel plugs create a “hump” around the 2-3k area - brass plugs have a more linear response. Second, steel (when played long enough) tends to magnetize over time which causes audio deterioratiron - nickel plated brass will not. Finally, most companies use steel which is very hard - brass is softer and more malleable which creates less wear and tear on your pedal and slides in and out with ease.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28485
    I would like to see some evidence to support those claims - I'm certainly skeptical.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I'm no metallurgist but I do have a degree in music technology (who doesn't?!) and I'm confident this is a load of horse shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah I'm thinking they could brand these "Xotic All-BS Cables"
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4845
    What a crock, total snake oil........

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9658
    My first thought is “absolute unfounded bollocks”. For a start, they don’t provide any evidence. Secondly, they’re nickel plated, just like those crap old steel jacks. Thirdly, since when is 3 kHz mids?

You’ll need a Russ Andrews kettle lead plugged into your Harley Benton Powerplant to get the best out of these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6704
    I have a brass cistern in my toilet. Makes flushing really smooth and because of a lack of friction, the water flows smoother which helps flush away bad smells. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    thermionic said: Thirdly, since when is 3 kHz mids?
    Since always.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    Total bollocks, as usual. The only part that’s correct is that steel is harder, but it won’t make any difference if they’re both nickel-plated because that’s what’s in contact with the socket.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Presumably to maximise their benefits, you’ll need brass pots and jacks in your guitars, pedals and amps?
  • brass enclosures.....Vemuram were in there first
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    roberty said:
    (...) brass is softer and more malleable (...) and slides in and out with ease.
    This is bollocks. From experience I can confidently say that when something is softer, it is more difficult to slide in and out. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28485
    I'd like to modify my original response now that I've had coffee.

They seem to be claiming that steel,iin reasonably solid lumps, has inductive properties sufficient to create audible changes.

That's definitely utter nonsense. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Chronic horse shit that's up there along with cryogenic valves and doing a promo gig for nothing in the dog and duck to get more gigs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom