Keeley Compressor+ Hiss

SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
I've got a Keeley Compressor+ (in fact, I won it in the last raffle on these very boards, woohoo!).  I love what it does to the clean tone of my guitars, but it introduces a heck of a lot of hiss/noise even at low volumes and non-extreme settings.

I've tried it on multiple PSUs, isolated, on it's own, and just on the battery.  

I've moved it around in the pedal chain, and had it with no other pedals connected, let alone engaged.

I've tried different guitars (both humbuckers) and different leads.

Blessed thing hisses to an annoying (to me) degree.

Is this normal with one of these?  I know compressors will raise any noise in the system, but the same guitars, cables etc. don't do the same thing with the Wampler Ego on my main board.

I'd been planning on using it on a mini-board, but it's noisier than a Tone City delay, which seems just wrong.

General search of t'Interwebs has some people saying "Yeah, they all do that sir" and some saying "Mine doesn't hiss at all".

Or am I just being precious about not having hiss coming out of the amp when I'm not playing?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10713
    I use one on clean channel only and it doesn’t hiss. Maybe there’s a trim pot inside where you can tweak it, I don’t know. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Just had the back off, and not obviously. Battery connector, and then the 'wrong' side of a circuit board.  If there is a trim pot then it'll be an all-knobs-off job to get to it :/
  • Have you used it in several venues? My house is somewhat more noisy than where I play live.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Not yet, no.  Always at home (although on subtly different mains feeds - one of the rooms has a dedicated ring, for various reasons). I'll stick it on the board and try it out around the place - worst case I just need to kick it off when not playing, I suppose.