Clever paint people, what do you reckon?

I have a very modest project on the go and was expecting to refinish the body in some manner. When the guitar arrived I decided that wouldn’t be necessary after all, but while I was thinking about how I might do it I came across this stuff: 

Which can be covered with a coat of their wipe-on poly:

The paint, which (apparently) cures hard and waterproof in three weeks, is (apparently) self-levelling, requires minimal prep, and can be used indoors without a mask – as can the poly. It's available in tester pots and can be mixed to make pretty much any colour, I guess.

The poly contains a matting agent (matte being the finish crafty types want on their faux-vintage furniture), but it settles to the bottom if the jar is left to sit, meaning you could in theory get a gloss finish on a guitar by leaving the mixture to separate and working with the stuff on the top.

I'm sure that the result would be a bit rustic-looking, but is there any glaringly obvious reason that it wouldn't work for someone who wanted, say, a whitewash finish that could be applied at the kitchen table?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader

They're not giving much away but near-zero VOC says most likely waterbased. So damp to raise the grain, let dry & sand, first. Otherwise the paint may raise up rough 'hairs' from the wood. Otherwise hard to say, you'd have to know the paint to say much more really, but 3 weeks is pretty long ol' cure time. The longer the paint takes to get to touch dry the more chance of dog hairs & suicide fly squadrons landing so you'd want somewhere to out of the way to let it setup a bit.

There must be gloss wipe-on poly out there, don't know though. I'd always want to stir, it's not just the flatting agent that can settle out, you might just be wiping on more carrier or binder that solids for instance.

Also might be poss to polish up the paint itself at least to some sort of gloss level, you could do a separate scrap something or other at the same time. After the 3 weeks try polishing that up. It's save the poly time & cost.

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 634
    Interesting. I know StewMac and Minwax both do a wipe-on poly, too, but I assume their stuff wants to be used somewhere with decent ventilation. I might get a tester pot of the Fusion at some point just out of curiosity; there must be something around the house I could paint.