Pedalboard Power Supplies

What's Hot
austinrocketaustinrocket Frets: 32
What's a good, reliable but not too expensive one? I only run 5 pedals on my board and the daisy chain I've been using is now playing up so figured a power supply is the best way to go.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    edited August 2018
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    ^^^ assuming none of the pedals you want to power need more than 120mA (find out here) the Harley Benton Power Plant Jr
    is even cheaper and copied from a design that's properly isolated (isolation should reduce ground noise). Many of the cheap Chinese-made pedalboard power supplies aren't fully isolated- several outlets will share a ground, but be isolated from other groups, which is probably better than nothing, but not as effective as having all the outlets properly isolated.

IMO, it's worth spending more on a really good PSU once, ideally one that's a little bigger than you ever anticipate needing- it's deeply unsexy, but well worth it, and should be a one-time purchase.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9587
    IMHO, I would say that it's best to spend as much as you budget will allow on a QUALITY power supply...
  • If you can get one still a Burkey Flatliner Six Junior, 6 fully isolated outlets @ 100mA, solid and quiet as.... and made in Holland. Fits perfectly under a PT classic Jr with heavy duty velcro. Failing that a Fuel Tank Jr?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I too only use a few pedals (3 I think) and have the T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior. I got it for about £79 7 years ago and its reliable and built like a brick. I would advise not to scrimp on power supply out of all things, you can have the most amazing effects pedal but what use will it be when you have a crappy power supply which only causes humming and other issues esp live? Not worth the hassle, a large proportion of live rig issues will be caused by pedalboards so do you really want to be that guy?
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I’m a huge advocate of strymons supplys.. 

Yeah theyre expensive, but not only does the aftercare everywhere I read seem first class, the units themselves are also quality.. 

Its an investment. 

The single most expensive part of my board is the supply. But zero headaches and perfect performance make it worth it. 

Not only that, when you/I eventually want more pedals, another strymon supply can be linked to whatever you’ve got. Their ojai expansion kits are almost £50 cheaper too. 

The other guys have also mentioned decent supplys, voodoo labs, ciocks, etc. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Cioks for the win

or voodoo labs or possibly strymon
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I have a cheapo Joyo one and a Strymon Ojai powering the pedals on my board. There’s absolutely zero difference. 
    How very rock and roll
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    skunkwerx said:

Yeah theyre expensive, but not only does the aftercare everywhere I read seem first class, the units themselves are also quality.. 

Its an investment. 

The single most expensive part of my board is the supply. But zero headaches and perfect performance make it worth it. 

Not only that, when you/I eventually want more pedals, another strymon supply can be linked to whatever you’ve got. Their ojai expansion kits are almost £50 cheaper too. 

Yup - i just bought a Zuma to power a reasonably modestly sized board but one that has a few high draw pedals. It works perfectly - even powers the Trio+. Just a shame that it is £200 spent on something that can't even be seen!

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Gagaryn said:
    skunkwerx said:

Its an investment. 

Yup - i just bought a Zuma to power a reasonably modestly sized board but one that has a few high draw pedals. It works perfectly - even powers the Trio+. Just a shame that it is £200 spent on something that can't even be seen!

Haha too true! So much so that I had to put mine on top of the board and make room for it.. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9587
    Another vote for the Strymons - best Ive used 
  • Never ever had any issues with my Truetone cs7
    currently powering all this.

• vizviz Frets: 10713
    edited August 2018
    If you can get one still a Burkey Flatliner Six Junior, 6 fully isolated outlets @ 100mA, solid and quiet as.... and made in Holland. Fits perfectly under a PT classic Jr with heavy duty velcro. Failing that a Fuel Tank Jr?
    If you think you might need AC, you could go for the flatliner pro. It’s ever so slightly enormous but very good. 

Edit - just seen that the harley benton does that for a fifth of the price
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.