NGD Vintage content

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Beautiful! 
    Thanks man! and to everyone on here. I played it at my band practice last night and it just sounded amazing. The p90's in particular are just so powerful and micro-phonic. They have a kind of PAF on steroids kind of feel, difficult to describe but that's the best analogy i have! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    designerseye88 said:

Yes I agree! It had the original Mk1 position but im assuming that's probably how the neck got broken originally. Neil beefed up the neck tenon and moved the position into the Mk2 position. Now it's really solid!
    Yes, the '59s are notorious for the neck coming off - I've only seen three of them in person so far, but all had been broken.

I think the Mk2 looks a lot better too - possibly because the original position makes me nervous :), but it just looks awkward. I know there's a difference in tone, and some people don't think the later position is as 'neck pickup like', but to me it suits the vibe of these guitars very well. This is my favourite version by far - I don't really like the Mk3 where they moved the pickups even closer together as much.

It's nice to see a guitar with this much historical damage repaired to be 'best' rather than 'original', and I bet it sounds great too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    designerseye88 said:

Yes I agree! It had the original Mk1 position but im assuming that's probably how the neck got broken originally. Neil beefed up the neck tenon and moved the position into the Mk2 position. Now it's really solid!
    Yes, the '59s are notorious for the neck coming off - I've only seen three of them in person so far, but all had been broken.

I think the Mk2 looks a lot better too - possibly because the original position makes me nervous :), but it just looks awkward. I know there's a difference in tone, and some people don't think the later position is as 'neck pickup like', but to me it suits the vibe of these guitars very well. This is my favourite version by far - I don't really like the Mk3 where they moved the pickups even closer together as much.

It's nice to see a guitar with this much historical damage repaired to be 'best' rather than 'original', and I bet it sounds great too!
    Wow i knew 59's had that issue but i didn't realise it was so common! 

Yeah i like the Mk2 position too. For me the guitar is never going to be 'collectors grade' and to me it is a tool, so i plan to gig it and enjoy it, And like you, knowing that neck it stronger gives me much more confidence when I'm playing it. 

Also i think the Mk2 position started in late 59? so the guitar is still accurate in terms of spec :)  I'll try and bring it along to a jam in the future. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I have an original 1960 and a friend had a 59.  We've back to backed them and there really is very little difference in the sound.  The difference between pickups more than masks any other differences.

I'm sure you'll love the guitar.  It's a great restoration job and looks fantastic now.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Hello chaps, just thought i'd jump in here and say what a pleasure it was helping Alex bring this one back! 

On inspecting the guitar, it was soon clear that it was an early cherry '59 model. There was some conjecture/confusion in the eBay ad suggesting it was a re-neck. It definitely isn't, the neck and body left the factory together, the router marks were still present on the neck heel and what was left of the neck pickup cavity HOWEVER as was the case with most of them, it had suffered the neck heel break which had been fixed at some point in it's life. It had then undergone some "impressive" routing for humbuckers which had destroyed much of the heel and neck pocket so all of that had to be rebuilt.

It's an incredibly light and resonant guitar and obviously has been loved and played for all of it's life. Further investigation showed that it had been 6 colours during it's life so far: Original Cherry, White, Black, Red, Sonic Blue and finally stripped to bare wood! 

As you probably know i'm a Junior/Special nut and will always attempt to restore a guitar to 'original' as apposed to converting it to something it's not but in the case of this one, it would have been foolish to put the P90 back in the 'V1' position so close to the neck. There was only 10mm of wood between the end of the neck and the front of the route on the originals and on this one, there was approx 5mm of wood holding the neck on as the pickup cavity and neck heel had been compromised further by the deep humbucker routes, so after a conversation with Alex we decided to move the pickup to the later '59 'V2' position. I was then able to rebuild the neck tenon as well as the neck pocket around it which gave us a MUCH stronger neck joint. 

Once I could see we were making progress and things were looking good, Alex and I had another conversation and, to his credit, he decided to go 'all in' and source some 50's P90's, 50's covers and (a VERY impressive find!) a later '59 scratch plate too!

Once the woodwork was completed, the guitar was treated to a full nitro 'late '59/early 60' solid TV finish which was lightly aged and the guitar assembled, given a full set up and fret dress and Alex raced up the M5 less than an hour after I called to say it was ready!

A VERY enjoyable project and I have to say, an absolute KILLER guitar.

And before you ask....i've already got dibs!! :)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    miserneil said:

and (a VERY impressive find!) a later '59 scratch plate too!
    I wondered how you'd been able to make that look so right, turns out there's a simple reason :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:

I wondered how you'd been able to make that look so right, turns out there's a simple reason .
    Yeah, it did need a little fettling to fit properly but we got there  

I have to say, that neck P90 sounds ABSOLUTELY gorgeous.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • miserneil said:
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:

I wondered how you'd been able to make that look so right, turns out there's a simple reason .

Can confirm that neck pickups is simply stunning. Can't put it down. Still thinking how I can finally break it to my girlfriend :/
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:

Can confirm that neck pickups is simply stunning. Can't put it down. Still thinking how I can finally break it to my girlfriend :/
    I told ya, the old “what? That old thing? Na, has that ages” is the way to go....failing that, “it’s been on long term loan to my mate Neil”...then get her to call me and I’ll confirm...

;)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:

I told ya, the old “what? That old thing? Na, has that ages” is the way to go....failing that, “it’s been on long term loan to my mate Neil”...then get her to call me and I’ll confirm...

;)
    Hahah standby for the call 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    The 59/60 Special is one of my all-time favourite guitars and that one looks ace @designerseye88. Respect also to @miserneil for doing such a superb job. Brilliant!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:
    The 59/60 Special is one of my all-time favourite guitars and that one looks ace @designerseye88. Respect also to @miserneil for doing such a superb job. Brilliant!
    Ah thanks dude, If you're ever near Bristol hit me up and you can have a go. Im a huge junior/special fan too. They're reaching crazy prices at the moment so a restoration was the only way i'd be able to have one. 
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Absolutely wonderful guitar, and what a restoration, top notch.

6 colours... seriously if guitars could talk, that one would keep you entertained with stories.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom