Bass Positioning

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Definitely practise finger technique - so much more flexibility both for getting the notes in and for tonal variety
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I love the idea of finger technique, just not strong, fast or reliable enough with the digits!
    I do try to do it on slower stuff :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    LuttiS said:
    I love the idea of finger technique, just not strong, fast or reliable enough with the digits!
    You can do both - using a pick isn't wrong despite what some bass players will tell you ;). For fast stuff with a lot of attack it's often better to use one - you can get a sound that you can't with fingers alone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    LuttiS said:
    You can do both - using a pick isn't wrong despite what some bass players will tell you ;). For fast stuff with a lot of attack it's often better to use one - you can get a sound that you can't with fingers alone.
    I do use pick from time to time, and agree it’s totally valid.

Slap is different. Slap is criminal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    LuttiS said:
    I do use pick from time to time, and agree it’s totally valid.

Slap is different. Slap is criminal.
    Confession time... I like quite like most funk/slap bassy bits ;(

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Criminal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    "Is it because I is black?"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm a Bootsy Collins guy :) 
    LuttiS said:
    i'm finding it damn near impossible to play fluidly ... first three frets of the low E ... a couple of spasms ... which i assume is a bad thing. 
    It is. 
    LuttiS said:
    Is it a case of practice and perseverance
    Yes.

Of course, it is possible that your instrument requires attention to the nut slots and truss rod adjustment.

LuttiS said:
    does anyone have any tips for not being Achey McBasshand?
    It is difficult to comprehend what is causing you muscle, ligament or carpel tunnel discomfort without seeing what moves you are making.

Something to work at is a Steve Vai type finger exercise. For any given string and fret position, the index finger takes the lowest fretted note. The middle finger frets the next semi-tone up. The ring finger frets the semi-tone above that. If it will co-operate, the little finger frets the position three semi-tones above the the index finger. 

The exercise is not intended to sound remotely tuneful. It is simply to get the digits moving. Try to establish the lightest possible pressure that gets the notes to sound cleanly. You may need to go easy on the index and middle fingers but increase pressure on the ring and little fingers. If necessary, articulate the elbow and forearm to achieve this.

Nothing shameful about operating within the first four or five fret positions. Many of the world's greatest baselines live there.