Replace 1 string or all 6?

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2605
Opinions please on a fairly dull subject. I recently broke a string, however the set was relatively new. I haven't as yet replaced the string because I can't decide whether to replace just the one or the whole set. I always replace the set but seems wasteful in this case.

What do others do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10720
    I replace them one by one if it’s due to early breakage, or en masse if it’s because they’re old. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    One goes, they all go.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10894
    If they're newish I'll pop a single on, sometimes different brand.  I only tend to break them when I'm detuning a lot for setup etc
  • ColsCols Frets: 7105
    Which string, and where did it break?  Is it possible there might be a burr somewhere that needs filed down?
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605
    E string at the tuner. It's on a guitar that's quite new to me, so if it happens again I'll definitely be looking for a sharp edge.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    viz said:
    I replace them one by one if it’s due to early breakage, or en masse if it’s because they’re old. 
    This. If the top E is going to break early then it’s usually within an hour. Certainly within 48. I keep a couple of spare 10s. 

When I’m adjusting a neck, and have to loosen or take off the strings, then the G or B can fracture at the tuning peg. I’ve got some spare of them too.

Aside from these two situations I rarely get a breakage. One string breaking is a sign that they’re old, and all need replacing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I rarely break strings but it will depend on how long the existing set has been on. If old I'd change them all.
  • FezFez Frets: 535
    Unless it's a new set I replace the lot
    Don't touch that dial.