Can you do a friend of the forum a favour?

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
in Guitar tFB Trader
Scott at SC relics has been working hard to build his business over the last 12 months. He had the balls to quit his job and go full time to deliver his passion, lots of very cool Nitro finished relic and NOS guitars.

Anyway, Instagram unilaterally disabled his account without notice and without explanation and as such he’s now lost all of his followers/audience.

anyway, I know many of you here have bought his work so can I ask that you share his Instagram. Account and give him a follow.

its really unfair that this has happened so hopefully you good folks can help?

https://www.instagram.com/screlicsguitaremporium
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4906
    I've added him again, what the hell! Any clearer yet why they deleted it? How bizarre

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24851
    Done
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7085
    tFB Trader
    I don't do Instagram but I can only assume that Fender complained about trade mark violations? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Done 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    I don't do Instagram but I can only assume that Fender complained about trade mark violations? 
    The thing is, he is fastidious about not using their logos.... so if so it’d be tenuous at best. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11999
    edited August 2018
    Don't use instagram but would happily share either business page if requested on Facebook?  We got links?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7085
    tFB Trader
    Fender have IP rights to the word "relic" in this context so that might be their complaint? 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10740
    tFB Trader
    Fender have IP rights to the word "relic" in this context so that might be their complaint? 
    Really? So Larry has the trademark on the colour cream, Seymore has patented fresh air ... and all those Egyptian mummies have to get re catalogued :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• WezVWezV Frets: 16807
    If that is the reason half the guitar content on instagram should have gone too.

Wouldn’t fender normally send a cease and desist to Scott first.

It’s a shame answers are not likely to be forthcoming.  
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    Fender seem surprisingly blasè about Relic (RTM) and RoadWorn (RTM) being used with gay abandon on ebay by chancers with a Squier and a belt sander. Also, the Facebook groups are full of fake Fenders with their headstock logo, doesn’t seem to bother them either. 
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Whilst loads of people get away with using the word relic etc on social media/ebay without incurring Fender's wrath because they're small potatoes in terms of followers/interest.

It's probably some souless algorithm that if someone issues multiple reports they take down the account immediately then it's up to the user to flag this as an incorrect take down and get it reviewed by a human being.

Anyway, I've given him a follow!  
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    Arktik83 said:
    Whilst loads of people get away with using the word relic etc on social media/ebay without incurring Fender's wrath because they're small potatoes in terms of followers/interest.

It's probably some souless algorithm that if someone issues multiple reports they take down the account immediately then it's up to the user to flag this as an incorrect take down and get it reviewed by a human being.

It’s the soulless takedown that’s the issue here, now ordy about the impact to his business- just deleted without warning....

Whilst it’s their platform, they shouldn’t  be allowed to arbitrarily remove an account without warning or explanation. That’s just unfair 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    I loved seeing Scott's photos, so I've gone and re-added him. Has anything been explained why? It seems to be happening more and more regularly for people!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10740
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Arktik83 said:

It’s the soulless takedown that’s the issue here, now ordy about the impact to his business- just deleted without warning....

Whilst it’s their platform, they shouldn’t  be allowed to arbitrarily remove an account without warning or explanation. That’s just unfair 
    Liked ... 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Thank you so much @ThorpyFX , I wasn’t expecting to find this here this morning. This has cheered me up after some other bad news (not guitar related).

Okay, after sitting on this and waiting for Instagram to pull their finger out I got a half assed reply after following their bizarre appeal process. It was the same info as on their help/support pages. They refuse to tell me specifically what the issue was but after a number of friends (in and out of the music industry) got in touch it appears that one reason makes perfect sense. Before I tell you, I have no reason to believe fender have said anything to Instagram. Thus far, I have had no issues or contact regarding this via email, the website, post or Facebook. There are far more prominent brands and builders out there with larger audiences sailing far closer to the wind than I have ever done. I also know of many people behind the scenes who use fender images, branding and names to describe their work. None of them have been affected. Besides, I’m a partcaster body and neck supplier/painter. I don’t advertise full builds, just bits.

Sooo... it appears that using these hashtags, “guitarsofinstagram” and “instaguitar”, has drawn Instagrams attention to my work. Basically these “infringe on their brand identity”. I’ve put the whole debacle down to this because I can’t see what else I’ve done wrong. The other theory is I’ve been hacked and in which case Instagram have been equally useless in assisting me.

Why am I bothered so much by this? Well, I had 1200+ followers and a 600+ picture story of the evolution of the business. Not one bit of advertising was done so this is a naturally built fan base. At the point of the account being deactivated I was getting 150-250 likes per picture. While this might seem like “....so?” to me it was a massive number. It also provided a revenue stream for the business and that is something we will need to address. Remember, this is a business started from an idea to now having a 3-4 month lead in time, that page was my diary. 

So, without getting annoyed, miffed, upset any further I will crack on and build my audience again without any shortcuts. Any support is much welcomed and you’ll see a good mixture of ideas, mock ups, full builds and inside info on the page.

As a precaution, the only fender-esque names I will be using is on “Straturday” and “teletuesday”. 

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    @lonestar ; if this the reason, then fuck me....that's tight. Always loved seeing your work and drooling (came close to pulling the trigger on a couple of bodies!). I've heard several people on Insta complaining that their accounts have been pulled and no reason why just recently...seems they are making a point but not caring to share why
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    horsehead said:
    @lonestar ; if this the reason, then fuck me....that's tight. Always loved seeing your work and drooling (came close to pulling the trigger on a couple of bodies!). I've heard several people on Insta complaining that their accounts have been pulled and no reason why just recently...seems they are making a point but not caring to share why
    I appreciate the kind words. I’m reliably informed that this is the reason but without a proper answer from this faceless company I have no idea.

The new page is up and running and I will endeavour to do a single daily post.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @lonestar - I’ve seen similar mate so I suspect you are spot on with your analysis. They will be pissed you are making money out of their brand name as it potentially links you to their brand identity in marketing data and they won’t like that. 

Its harsh and uncalled for IMHO - but like you say it’s their site. The big issue is how we are now tolerant of these huge companies doing what they like with us yet remain completely faceless 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Going 1 better - going to order a relic'd Tele neck ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27714
    edited August 2018
    And I've just used my admin powers to unilaterally alter your sig @lonestar - the www address is now a link to your site - just makes it a bit easier for people to travel from your posts here to your website.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom