extremely stupid question

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
so...hoping this doesnt get me banned from the forum...but...

Kettle leads...is there a difference between something from Maplin vs something from a music shop?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

The same (apart from maybe the price)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Although my kettle doesn't have a kettle lead.
    :(|)

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited April 2014

IIRC Kettle lead is actually the wrong term, but seems to be used pretty much by everyone.

Something about a notch and a temperature rating...

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    As power leads now come with the plug attached (they didn't used to) would the fuse rating in the plug of one bought from Maplins for a kettle be the same as one bought from a music shop as an amp accesory? Easy fix if its not but that's the only possible difference I can think of.

I certainly can remember doing a gig where our bass player was plugged into the mains via a lead taken from the pub's kettle.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

A recent discussion on fuse ratings:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/13431/mains-fuses#latest
  • "Kettle leads" are called IEC 60320 leads, the standard covers all kind of leads.

Proper kettle lead have the notch in them and have a higher temp rating, but they do work in amps. Un-notched "kettle leads" don't fit in kettles though!

Maplins and music shops leads should be the same, just change the fuse to the desired value.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    You could by an IEC plug (is that the correct term for a 'kettle' plug?), a mains plug and a length of mains flex from Maplin and make up a mains lead as long as you need, probably for less than buying from a music shop.

And pre-made mains leads are never quite long enough, are they?
    :)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    You could by an IEC plug (is that the correct term for a 'kettle' plug?), a mains plug and a length of mains flex from Maplin and make up a mains lead as long as you need, probably for less than buying from a music shop.

he is probably right. caveat: if you do it wrong it's your fault, if the Maplin one crosses the live & the earth it's their fault.

I suspect the ones in the music shop are marked up a bit more, and Mr Technically_Unaware Joe Public buys them because he doesn't know there's a cheaper way of getting the same thing, or he thinks there's something special about these ones, or maybe he doesn't care about a £ or two difference, its convenient to buy them at the same time as the practice amp (with "powerful 10W output stage") he's getting for the kid's birthday
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    ...I wonder if there is a forum for guys that like to collect and talk kettles...??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    3-4 years ago Guitarist reviewed a kettle lead that cost £149. It read like an April Fool but it wasn't one. The reviewer claimed the difference in the amp's tone was quite marked. I recall the Oxford Guitar Gallery later had them. I don't think they were flying off the shelves.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerry;206332" said:
    3-4 years ago Guitarist reviewed a kettle lead that cost £149. It read like an April Fool but it wasn't one. The reviewer claimed the difference in the amp's tone was quite marked. I recall the Oxford Guitar Gallery later had them. I don't think they were flying off the shelves.
    Must have sounded shit, you need a valhalla to sound acceptably good.

http://www.cheshireaudio.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Nordost.html

Scroll to the bottom for the pinnacle of kettle leads.

Lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Have a chat with your IT guys at work, when the throw out old kit they may well keep the leads. A free source of many for me and my mates over the years.

• Must have sounded shit, you need a valhalla to sound acceptably good.

Lol
    Oh my, I'm in the wrong business!
  • spaceman_inorbit;206424" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Must have sounded shit, you need a valhalla to sound acceptably good. http://www.cheshireaudio.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Nordost.htmlScroll to the bottom for the pinnacle of kettle leads. LolOh my, I'm in the wrong business!
    It is quite incredible. I mean, I'm not going to comment as to whether it's works (I mean, remember how many miles of century old cable carries power to your home...) but an awful lot of effort goes into making those cables :s
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31631
    I have two kettle leads here which are 2-core, ie, not earthed.
    Please check before you use one to plug your amp in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    spaceman_inorbit;206424" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Must have sounded shit, you need a valhalla to sound acceptably good. http://www.cheshireaudio.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Nordost.htmlScroll to the bottom for the pinnacle of kettle leads. LolOh my, I'm in the wrong business!
    It is quite incredible. I mean, I'm not going to comment as to whether it's works (I mean, remember how many miles of century old cable carries power to your home...) but an awful lot of effort goes into making those cables :s

Do you then plug it into the standard socket, with satandard electrical wire, from the standard electrical supply? Or are the electrons suitably massaged going through that short cable, that I don't need to replace all cabling back to the power plant? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    It is quite incredible. I mean, I'm not going to comment as to whether it's works (I mean, remember how many miles of century old cable carries power to your home...) but an awful lot of effort goes into
    coming up with enough creative marketing bullshit to convince people with too much money and too little sense to part with large amounts of both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Thanks everyone...i'm sold...i just have save another £2000.

On a serious note...i have to do a lot fast talking with the wife on buying gear, and i would say she is fair, but i wouldnt know where to start with a power cable costing £2000... :-S
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Must have sounded shit, you need a valhalla to sound acceptably good.

Love the description, "don't be put off by the price..."!!! Why the ⓕⓤⓒⓚ not?!?!?!