Diaon Gazelle???

What's Hot

Anyone know anything about the Daion range of guitars and specifically the Gazelle?

One in local guitar shop, 81 jap guitar, very well built, great sound, but not sure of value, so not sure whether £350 is too much to pay for an "unknown" but quality guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited August 2013
    not sure, but the body is  certainly an 'aquired taste'

I checked out the dreads, and they are very reminiscent of Tama's of that era,  which were v good indeed
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    I have a 1982 Joodee which was made in the same factory as far as I know.  Assuming its a solid top and its in decent nick then £350 wouldn't seem silly.  You can always go in and offer £300 or £325.

Check the frets.  Mine's had 1 refret already and will need another at some point.  Will probably cost about £200.  If it needs new frets you'd need to get the price knocked down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    I had a Daion dred (it was actually a Mugen-they later changed their trading name but they are the same guitars). Cedar top, laminated mahogany (or nato) back & sides, brass nut and saddle, maple binding/rosette. Really high quality guitar. Not familiar with the model you are referring to but I would expect it to be very good.

Thanks for reminding me about the brand. They were really different at the time.

I'm clueless on prices but I doubt you would get anything of a similar quality new for much less than double the figure you've quoted....

Edit: just seen Bertie's picture. Clearly a 'wacky' one. £350 is high I reckon....
  • That's the one, but this one appears to have a pickup at the end of the neck??? Should I be worried there isn't one on the one I'm looking at?

• Pazmuzak;19872" said:
    That's the one, but this one appears to have a pickup at the end of the neck??? Should I be worried there isn't one on the one I'm looking at?
    It looks like a Strat pick-up held by somewhat 'Heath Robinson' metal brackets. Both it and the flat control panel are (bad) 'after-market' additions, I would imagine.
    Pazmuzak said:

Should I be worried there isn't one on the one I'm looking at?

quite the opposite  :)     
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I like that.

Also, I've heard lots of good things about Daions in general, they seem like really good well-made guitars.

There's one electric they did, called the Headhunter, which is like a 335 with the same bump in the bottom that the Gazelle has.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Got it!!! Did  deal, swapped it for surplus Fender Blues Junior..................happy chappy!!!!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I remember around 1984 there was a bit of a flood of them. Just regular acoustics without cutaway bottom (don't remember the upper cutaway either) and certainly no pickup. Someone I knew at the time bought the 12 string which was a fine looking thing with that big oval soundhole, and it played and sounded lovely too. I seem to recall they went for between 150-200 quid, though I might be wrong; they were definitely not just a budget brand.
    Many a time since I've wished I'd bought one.