Taylor GS mini?

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27825
I'm toying with the idea of buying one.

Been looking for an electro-acoustic (or an acoustic into which I could fit a pickup) for a little while, and spent some time at Peach earlier today trying out a few options.

Taylor were head & shoulders above the others that I tried, both a full-size Academy 12 (basic model) and a GS mini (electro'd).

Only reason that I didn't buy the mini there and then is that I womdered what they're like to live with long-term.  Having spent the morning playing a variety of acoustics, the GS mini felt cramped by comparison.  That could be a good thing of course (less finger stretching!).  They seem to have a lot of support and positive reviews - but what's the real world longer-term experience like?
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7853
    edited August 2018
    I use it for songwriting, travelling, occasional gig and late night low volume playing. (SD micmag when I need to plug in.).  By comparison my Gibson AJ comes less often out for recording or when I want more volume and bigger tone. 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

I've had mine for about 2 years , it's my "go to" guitar and has been since I got it .

Everyone who either had a go or heard it at the Huddersquatch Jam/gig were impressed with either the sound/the feel or both .

I'd even consider a 2nd as a spare .

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1802
    I have had my GS Koa for a couple of years now and its used on a regular basis and if you have big hands the shorter scale might piss you off but for me its fine and I love the sound of the Koa takes a little while to break in but its a really great tone. I have done a couple of open mike and jams with it through the Kemper into the PA, Kemper for a few subtle effects and a nice bit of verb. 

For me, the Koa when it's in a mix always shines through and with minimal work sounds like a really professionally recorded acoustic tone sits real nice.

Other than the shorter scale which might piss off some people still love it and use it after two years so. I also take it back and forth between UK and Spain throwing it in the overhead in the nice gig bag it's a pretty rugged thing.

edited August 2018
    forgot to say mine is a Koa one too , as well as all the sonic stuff that is mentioned above it looks mighty purdy!
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    What's your budget? Is there a reason you are not looking to buy a full size acoustic?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27825
    I've just been tempted into the "how much more would it be" trap on the Taylor Guitars website.

I had a T3 in years gone by.  It was beautifully built with excellent materials and detailing.  Loved those aspects of it, but it was just too big (body width) for me to play comfortably, so I didn't play it, and it got moved on.

But it left me with a very positive impression of Taylor, an impression that was extended with my experience at Peach today.  The Taylors that I played were just so much nicer in feel/sound/look than the others.

I went looking for a cutaway electro.  The GS mini obvs isn't cutaway, and my immediate reaction was that it was a bit cramped.  But it had a stunning walnut back/sides, and I've read a lot of the love here for the model, so tempting ... 

But how much more would it be for a full size cutaway electro with a Taylor name on the headstock.  Website.  Mmmmm, 114CE looks like it ticks my boxes and is only a little bit more.   And it's build on a walnut back and sides. 

Why spend £600 on something that's as good as you can get for the money, when you could spend £800 and get the spec you wanted ...

(My original budget was  - notionally - £300-£500).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What's your budget? Is there a reason you are not looking to buy a full size acoustic?
    @BigLicks67 - see above - the budget started out at £300-£500. 

It always was a bit elastic as it's more a case of how much do I feel comfortable spending rather than the total of all the coins found down the back of the sofa ... 
    ;)

• It is a little cramped but I got it as a beater guitar, one for gigs and traveling.
  • Lots of second hand Taylors on the market. Might be worth biding your time and seeing what turns up.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1802
    You should try the 114 CE as they are also great value for those looking for the fuller figure. 
    Ultimately the smaller body of the GS appealed to me as had enough full size and I like the lack of boom and how easy it is to get the GS right in a mix when recording. 

I also think it gives you that Taylor sound in a nice guitar for not much money. When you look at the differences between acoustics most copies or sub 500 quid guitars are chasing or copying the Martin formula in terms of bracing etc Taylor ar their own thing that is a nice contrast to having everything trying to recreate the classic dreadnaught style of guitar. 

I dont find it cramped and find no problem picking up one and then playing a full sized guitar YMMV
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4055
    TTony said:

Why spend £600 on something that's as good as you can get for the money, when you could spend £800 and get the spec you wanted ...
    If you have something specific in mind then go for it!
    The mini gets too cramped for me if I capo above the third fret unless I'm just doing strummy stuff.
    It's always been the "grab and play" factor which I've loved about it because of its small size -- but the trade off is you notice it the further up the neck you go.
  • I could not be happier with my 114CE; I tried a 214 but preferred the sound and plainer looks of the 114. It doesn’t feel that large or cumbersome. The laminated walnut sides and back gives a nice colour. This is a good excuse to post a photo of mine: 

https://i.imgur.com/W96DABV.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Simple.  Class.

@magicpigdetective!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 563
    Gs mini = Fun . . . . End of
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    TTony said:
    @BigLicks67 - see above - the budget started out at £300-£500. 

It always was a bit elastic as it's more a case of how much do I feel comfortable spending rather than the total of all the coins found down the back of the sofa ... 
    ;)

If it was me and I didn't specifically want a travel guitar, I would be looking at the Taylor 1 series used. Or a Yamaha LS16 used.
  • I bought one when they were first introduced, at the time I tried every travel acoustic & it came downt to the Taylor & Mini Martin, the Taylor won hands down because it sounded far better than anything else, 6 months later I sold it & bought a Martin when I realised how much space it took up. If you want a travel guitar accept its shortcomings in tone  & buy a Mini Martin, if you want a small acoustic check out parlour or 12 fret to body acoustics, good luck in your quest, Mike .
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I had a GS mini. Nicely made but I didn't care for the sound. Maybe an acceptable compromise if you really need a small (but not that small) guitar. Otherwise I couldn't recommend it. 
  • Got one (GS Mini Koa) from my wife on our wedding day, and it's become my go to acoustic. I tour most of the year and it comes everywhere with me. As someone mentioned above it took a little longer to bed in than some others, but it's sweetened up beautifully.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had one for a while. Great little guitar and sounded good through the pa too.
    Ended up letting it go as it felt a bit cramped compared to my Big Baby (although sound wise it was at least it's equal).

Just noticed this .... might be relevant to your interests  .

https://giggear.co.uk/buy/taylor-114ce-electro-acoustic-guitar-with-gig-bag