Wonky fender knobs!

What's Hot
stuagustuagu Frets: 334
So, im being stupid here, i bought some white fender knobs
 ( vintage amp style)  for my telepartsocaster. When i put em on they just wont sit anywhere near straight, as i tighten the screw it cocks over to one side.... what am i missing? Help? Thnx 
stupid from kent :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    You might have larger imperial sized knobs with smaller metric sized pots.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7039
    tFB Trader
    They are made for 1/4" solid shafts. If yours are narrower you need some adapters. 

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/brass-sleeves-for-split-shaft-pots
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72445
    If you’re trying to put grub screw knobs on split shafts, wobbling is the least of the problems - if you tighten them too much on the side of the shaft you will fold it in. If this has already happened, trying to straighten it will usually break the shaft, although if you’re *extremely* careful and lucky it can sometimes be done. (Try forcing a knife blade down into the gap, without levering it sideways.)

It can be made to work reasonably well if you either make sure the screw presses directly on the gap in the shaft, or fill the gap with something solid (a piece of cut-down pick is ideal if you have the right thickness), but a solid-shaft pot is always better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Thnx for your help
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    As has already been said, you’re trying to put imperial knobs on a metric shaft. All is not lost however, just put some sort of spacer in the slot if it’s a split shaft and wrap a piece of masking tape around the shaft in order to make it a bit bigger if needed.
    I told you i was doing something stupid!!!:) thnx 
    They are made for 1/4" solid shafts. If yours are narrower you need some adapters. 

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/brass-sleeves-for-split-shaft-pots
    These pots are mismatched anyway, so if i get a new loom or pots but with 1/4" solid shafts itl save farting around? Thnx 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72445
    stuagu said:

These pots are mismatched anyway, so if i get a new loom or pots but with 1/4" solid shafts itl save farting around?
    Yes, if you want to use those knobs it's by far the best solution.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    if you have spit shafts twease them in a notch and try to reseat your knob
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

https://i.imgur.com/x1whcuL.jpg
    all done with new pots... thats better ! Thnx for advice once again.