Eric Johnson Strat: The best non-CS Fender on the market?

What's Hot
Custom shop quality imo. If this model was the only Strat Fender made I’d have no complaints. 

Any other converts out there?
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    I had one of the early ones, huge baseball neck with the 12" radius fretboard and so dull it sounded like I had cotton wool in my ears, not a fan as you can guess ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24831
    Maple neck models I’ve played have had really sticky necks - and the flat board feels too ‘unFendery’ to me.
  • Interesting. How on earth did it sound dull?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7155
    I would agree that they sound a little bland, also the super flat radius felt uncomfortable and not very nice. I did like the large neck profile though.

Sold mine fairly quickly, as it didn't quite feel like a good fit for my tastes.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Googled just to see what it looked like - surprisingly as generic as a Strat could possibly look.

Not that I see that as a bad thing, was just expecting something a lot more camp considering EJ's dress sense lol
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1569
    Mine is the best sounding strat I've had - bright rather than dull as it happens. I'd prefer a smaller neck though tbh, but then I learnt on guitars with fairly thin necks to begin with
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    The original Dave Murray strat. Easily the best non CS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Loving the fat neck on mine, especially as my hands are now in their 40’s. I couldn’t get it to sound dull if I tried. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    edited August 2018
    It was dull inasmuch as i thought the tone control was on, like a wooly sock etc etc but then EJ does have possibly the dullest tone to grace Vinyl etc ;)
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    I had one and it was crazy resonant. I agree with the above though, 12" radius on a strat doesnt feel right.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459

12" radius is wrong.

At this point in time, the American Original looks like the best non-CS offering.  Whether the difference in quality from the Mexican Classic Series is enough to justify the price jump is debatable.

• I have one and love it. The neck is a tad thick, but I do like that radius. I just wish it was slightly thinner. I also find mine quite bright so taming it is useful. Oddly, I get a really good Nashville country twang out of that bridge pickup on full lol. I wasn't expecting that but it was a pleasant surprise.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 864
    edited August 2018
    I had a sunburst - lovely and light. Neck too big and radius too flat - felt un-strat like to me. Also thought the pickups were surprisingly weak........... loved the idea of it, but kept paying the lightly modded highway 1 in preference, so the EJ went. Still have the Highway 1 as my main gigging guitar 17 yrs later............
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    I've got an EJ neck on my MJT Strat. The12" radius is a proper boon if you've grown up on Gibsons. I think the staggered tuners do stiffen the tension a bit but it's super resonant with a one piece ash body. I like it anyway.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72446
    I've played two of them - one was good, and the other was the deadest modern US Fender I've ever come across... not sure why, but it had all the resonance of a damp cereal box.

I don't like the tone control arrangement - by not having one on the middle pickup it not only makes that position too 'shouty' (I know a lot of people never use it though), it also makes the neck/middle position too bright and too similar to the bridge/middle, because on a standard Strat *both* tone controls are connected in that position. I don't particularly like the feel of them either, they seem somehow a bit 'un-Strat-like' - it may be the flatter fingerboard.

In my opinion the best non-CS Fenders are the Mexican Classic Series. (Lacquer finish version if that matters to you.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I should possibly have stated that I’m basing this entirely on the new EJ Thinline. Horses for courses as always but this neck plays ridiculously nice.