Kev Hurley Cold Rolled Steel Trem Block

What's Hot
Just ordered from Kevin a trem block and trem arm for my Wilkinson Strat bridge. It turned out that he had a key for the WVC vintage staggered hole type block, I’m really looking forward to seeing how it compares to the Wilkinson monkey metal trem block I had. His stuff looks to be very well made.Has anyone had any experience of his trem blocks? Has it made any improvement to tone etc?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Pretty sure there was a thread on these not too long ago with positive comments.
    Interesting side note - you can order WIlkinson trems from the factory with solid steel blocks as an option now but it adds about 175% to the standard steel block trem price.
  • I used Kevin to make me a brass block and the whole process was great... really easy to deal with, knows his stuff and the difference in tone was night and day. One of the best purchases I’ve made for a guitar

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    He's made me a couple. Didn't fit originally but was an absolute gent sorting it out. I have a brass block on my CS strat and to my ear it has more sustain. Worth it for the nylon insert Trem arm alone
  • what guitar is this going into?
  • Pretty sure there was a thread on these not too long ago with positive comments.
    Interesting side note - you can order WIlkinson trems from the factory with solid steel blocks as an option now but it adds about 175% to the standard steel block trem price.
    Thanks for the info Gavin, that’s interesting I’ve not seen the solid steel block option on the Wilkinson, the existing block on my wilko trem is zinc I think? it seems quite brittle as the arm tension screw hole cracked quite badly. Out of interest how much does a full Wilkinson vintage six screw trem with steel block cost? and can you get a distressed strat bridge version? I’ve been looking everywhere, the JHS website has one but it doesn’t mention if the block is solid steel, many thanks 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    If I recall @impmann started the craze. He is owed some comission
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • what guitar is this going into?
    Hi @interstellar it’s going into a K-Line Springfield, turned out Kevin had the pattern for the Wilkinson staggered type block. I was outbid on one on eBay yesterday too damn it!!
  • i was thibking of just changing the whole lot for a Wudtone trem kit
  • thibking is of course thnking but with a clumsy typing technique
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Standard steel block (sintered not solid) I sell for £28
    https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_36&products_id=111
    I had planned to switch over to the solid steel blocks but hit the brakes when I found out the price! I'd have to sell them for £60 at least and I figured at that price folks may as well get a hand machined block made here in the UK if the standard steel block isn't doing it for them.
    I'm pretty sure you can specify the block for the distressed models - all the blocks on the WV line are interchangeable I think. However I've never looked into stocking them - at one time I was ageing them myself but it's too time consuming to be profitable (although I suspect I'm a bit anal in my ageing process - fuming whole thing with muriatic acid fumes will get it done much quicker but I don't particularly care for the results).

Yep! For the Springfield I was looking at Callaham but was worried about possible string spacing issues etc, also considered the wudtone options too, figured I’d just get the block and maybe go for some raw vintage or highwood saddles to go on the Wilkinson bridge.
  • I’ve gone for the part sleeved block (nylon insert) with trem arm for about £34
    How are you finding the Strat?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    Got a rolled steel block (not one of Mr Hurley's) on my MIM Std. Definitely an improvement in sustain. Also the tone has become slightly brighter and more, for want of a better word, 'zingy'. My understanding is that if you want to have a warmer sound then a brass block could be the way to go.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Emailed Kev to make me one last month but heard nothing back.