Yamaha THR 10c, I'd like a bit more gain please :)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HysterHyster Frets: 208
    I'm sure the Vox is great, I just could not own one due to it's handbag looks.

Come on Yamaha, time to upgrade the king of the bedroom amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hyster said:

I can live with the looks if it sounds better. I may look to build a wooden cabinet for it if it offends me that much!
  • At first I was both intrigued and appalled by how bad the Vox looks.  I kept my trusty THR on hand, the third one I'd owned.  But after a few weeks of not touching the THR at all it just became redundant to be honest.
    Once again I A/B'd them extensively side by side before selling the Yammy, to be sure I wasn't just falling for the extra features and Bluetooth convenience of the Vox, but on nearly every setting I just thought the Vox sounded superior. 
    I eventually forgave it looking like a handbag because it just does everything so well.  Now and again I still have a laugh at the ugliness of the design, but it seems trivial really. In fact I'm almost more impressed that the Vox succeeds DESPITE it's hideous looks.
    I was a huge THR fanboy, too, so I'm amazed they've let the competition get in front of what was essentially their own slice of the market, that they virtually carved out for themselves, without any sign of an upgraded THR or other response to the Vox.
  • Hyster said:

Absolutely!

Now Yamaha & Line 6 are one of the same, I'd love to see them make an amp that's a bit more modeller friendly. Imagine a THR10C with an effects loop & a few more sounds in it that doubled as the perfect home pedal platform bedroom amp. I'd never turn the damn thing off if I could chuck a looper into it.
  • Yes, THR needs an update. I’m liking the sounds of this Vox. I have yet to see one in the flesh and I was wondering how easy it would be to remove the grill and rewrap it with a less gaudy cloth. Even removing the Vox badge would help as it looks so plasticky & cheap.