A possibly sacrilegious post about two of the most popular guitars of all time

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10534
    tFB Trader
    vale said:
    vale said:
    i think the ubiquitousness of those two styles is a big turn off for me. they are kind of 't shirt and jeans' obvious choices (etc)...

To me the most perfect looking guitar in the world ... definitely not t shirt and Jeans ... 
    it still amazes me that the flying v and explorer designs date all the way back to 1957. so those shapes, that still seem pretty 'out there' and futuristic, were actually contemporary with ye olde elvis singles like 'all shook up' and 'jailhouse rock' that seem so quaint and crude compared to anything we have now. curiously anachronistic.

ps. smart guitar and lucky you if it's yours.
    Sadly not mine ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    The guitars that made me wide eyed as a kid were the 58/59 Les Paul & the Strat (Slash & Clapton mainly). I’m sure that’s the same for the vast majority & that’s stuck with me. For me the emotional driver is a huge part of my choice in instrument and way more than ergonomics/scale length etc. I’d rather play imperfectly / slower on something that wows me than something that is a tool that gets a fraction more out of my playing.

Cliche or not, these 2 started my love for the guitar and that’s what ultimately brings me back to them as my must haves. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28432
    ICBM said:

To me the most perfect looking guitar in the world ... definitely not t shirt and Jeans ... 
    It’s simply the most ‘electric’ of all guitars - I can’t quite explain why, it just is!

I asked Lady BMcH about this subject in the "if I asked you to draw a guitar" sense.

First answer was "like a peanut with a stick in it", ie an acoustic.

Second answer, when I said "and if I asked you to draw an electric guitar?", was "A flying V".

Because, it turns out, it is the only common guitar shape that absolutely wouldn't work if it was acoustic. Also they're easy to draw.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never actually owned a Strat, although I think they look great. I started on a cheap Epiphone superstrat, then went through some Ibanez stuff... when I was gigging in Skullfunk my main guitars were an LTD EC1000, Jackson King V & Kelly... I had a Voodoo Les Paul for a while but I didn't keep it. I'd always wanted a Tele, but after getting the Modern Player, I loved it for a while, ended up falling totally out of love with it and swapped it for a superstrat. The gigging guitars have all gone, now I've just got the two superstrats - one hardtail and one with a Floyd.

As far as inspirations go though when I was learning to play, it was mostly Mark Knopfler, so to 15-year old me the two most iconic guitars in the world were a cherry sunburst (Brothers in Arms) Les Paul or a red (most of the Alchemy video) Strat...

I think the nearest I get to wanting a Strat is a Charvel San Dimas... does that count?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24831
    As far as inspirations go though when I was learning to play, it was mostly Mark Knopfler, so to 15-year old me the two most iconic guitars in the world were a cherry sunburst (Brothers in Arms) Les Paul or a red (most of the Alchemy video) Strat...

I think the nearest I get to wanting a Strat is a Charvel San Dimas... does that count?
    The Alchemy ‘Strat’ was a Schecter - so you’re probably close enough! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72444
    Sporky said:

Because, it turns out, it is the only common guitar shape that absolutely wouldn't work if it was acoustic.
    Well she's wrong about that...

http://www.guitarmaker.de/Images/Vacc12.jpg

On second thoughts she's still right :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• valevale Frets: 1052
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:

It’s simply the most ‘electric’ of all guitars - I can’t quite explain why, it just is!

I asked Lady BMcH about this subject in the "if I asked you to draw a guitar" sense.

First answer was "like a peanut with a stick in it", ie an acoustic.

Second answer, when I said "and if I asked you to draw an electric guitar?", was "A flying V".

Because, it turns out, it is the only common guitar shape that absolutely wouldn't work if it was acoustic. Also they're easy to draw.
    some say 'necessity is the mother of invention'. i would say necessity and laziness.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    TTBZ said:
    TTBZ said:
    I've tried a few times to get into strats and I just don't get it. The controls feel cramped and the switch is in the way. 

Les Pauls are my favourite though, I really want one again !
    It’s that honky Sweet Home Alabama sound that rubs me up the wrong way.
    Awful isn't it. I hate the out of phase strat tones. Pure cheese. My "strat" has a lone bridge humbucker with 1 volume control and that's it  if I had singlecoils it'd just have a 3 way switch.
    My Strat doesnt have any pickups .Its a bit quiet......but my wife has never complained about it unlike my Les Paul which when plugged into my Laney makes her complain  a lot about fillings  rattling  and neighbors ,you know , girly things .