Changing Tuners On A Gibson (From Grover to Kluson Style)

This is a Gibson Midtown that's had its original Grover tuners replaced with these Gotoh Locking ones, by the looks of it with no extra holes required.

If I was looking to change them to the Kluson white button style what would be the best way to go about it? Go for 3 per side? Or 3 on a Plate? Is there someone out there that can provide direct replacements with no extra holes necessary?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Traditional Kluson style tuners have 2 screws per tuner, so you would need to drill the upper hole for each tuner.

Also the headstock will be drilled for 10mm modern collared tuners (to accept the screw in nut on the headstock side), whereas traditional Klusons will have smaller string posts with push in bushings, so you will either need to buy conversion bushings with the Klusons, or get a set with collared string posts.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72521
    It's difficult to do what you want really correctly - the only ones that will fit properly are the Grover/Tone-Pros 'threaded collar Kluson type', but they're hard to find with white buttons, although they do exist.

You could use three-on-a-strip ones with conversion bushings, that would be a better solution than individual heads since they can't slip out of line. You may still see marks on the front of the headstock from the Gotoh collars though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    edited August 2018
    Yes, those are the right ones. Quite hard to find now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Can’t track down any in the U.K. unfortunately 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    TonePros and Kluson have parted ways. StewMac has been blowing out TonePros Kluson tuners for a while and TonePros no longer list tuners on their website.
    https://www.stewmac.com/Closeouts/TonePros_Kluson_3_and_3_50s_Back_Tuners_with_White_Knobs_and_Press-fit_Bushings.html
    EDIT>>Sorry, just clocked you want the model with the screw in bushes. Push in bushes with adapter bushings would be cheaper.

Ah bugger, so it looks like the ones I want are discontinued?

Would the screw in bushings be more stable than the push in converter ones?

This guitar has a Bigsby too, should that be influencing my choice of tuners?
    Duppy03 said:

Would the screw in bushings be more stable than the push in converter ones?

This guitar has a Bigsby too, should that be influencing my choice of tuners?
    Yes to both, although there's not that much in it.

To be honest, none of them are that brilliant. If it has a Bigsby, keep the locking ones, or if you really don't like them, re-fit the original Grover Rotomatics... they are just better heads.

Okay thanks, maybe I could just look at changing the heads to Grover Kidney style ones, the tulip ones just look massive