PRS SC58 - Talk to me

What's Hot
ash96ash96 Frets: 61
I've wanted a Les Paul for ages as I love the sound of them, I've always found them a bit awkward to play. I used to have a PRS CU24 years ago and I've been kinda thinking about getting another PRS as the playability / build quality and reliability has always been great for me. 

Whats everyones opinions on these? Are they going to scratch that LP itch I have? What the rough value of these these days as it seems like they're quite rare as they got discontinued and replaced with the SC245 so its hard to check 2nd hand value. Are they pretty much the same guitar? I've seen a lot of the 245s have the one piece bridge rather than the 2 piece like a LP which apparently affects tone a bit?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    edited August 2018
    Nice guitars. Closest PRS got to the mythical LP tone until the 594s came out.

The "old" SC245s (up until about 2011 or so?) had one-piece bridges. The "newer" ones (2013- I think?) have the two-piece. It does have a significant effect on tone, IME, and is definitely part of that "Gibson" sound.

SC58s had Artist Pack appointments by default and thus are virtually identical to a newer Artist Package SC245, with a couple asterisks... the SC245s had neck binding as standard some years, and not in others... and at the very end of the SC245's life, before it was superseded by the 594, it had 58/15 pickups (the SC58 has 57/08s).

Price, not sure... AP commands a small premium but PRS singlecuts never seem to do as well as doublecuts in the long term, which don't really do all that well either so hopefully you can score one for a reasonable price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat has just about nailed it - Essentially a LP Flavoured guitar - I've always struggled to play a Gibson LP in the way I'd like to - We just don't get on - But the SC245 and SC58 models work far better for me - SC58 had a 2 piece bridge/tailpiece -They did a 'Stripped 58' a short term later - Essentially the same guitar with less aesthetic trimmings, so the same playing performance but will reduce your bank statement by a smaller amount - Effectively a wide/fat (pattern) neck profile is the only option on such models - And of course 57/08 pick-ups on the SC58

You'll do well to find a SC58 below 2K but a Stripped 58 closer to £1500/1700 - via private listings
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24831
    My take is they are better ergonocally than a Les Paul - but nowhere near as comfortable as a double cut PRS. Tonally they are a compromise compared to a ‘real’ Les Paul.

I play a DGT, which is close enough to an LP tonally - but much more comfortable.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    edited August 2018
    I'd have the one piece wraparound over the sc58 two piece design any day. 
    Feels great under palm and if you don't go superlow with tuning it's perfectly intonated.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited August 2018
    KrisGee said:

Why's that Kris?  I could never get PRS guitars I've had with the one piece design to intonate *quite* right.  Paul must have decided to change it for reasons other than just aesthetics?
    For me the one-piece makes the guitar sound more "modern" and the 2-piece makes it more "vintage", simple as that... it's not an insignificant difference. There is more harmonic preservation with a one-piece, I think. So more than feel for me it's about what kind of sound you want to achieve.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    I have a 2011 SC58 Artist.

It is an excellent guitar for someone who doesn't get on with Les Pauls (ie me).
    I prefer the two piece bridge.
    The only thing that annoys is the weird pot layout- why did they do that?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh and the Artist version comes with a blingy case:

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited August 2018
    octatonic said:

Bugs the life out of me on my Tremonti too.

Apparently they've put the pot layout back to 'normal' on the SC594 models, must have had regular complaints about it.

StefB said:
    octatonic said:

Bugs the life out of me on my Tremonti too.

Apparently they've put the pot layout back to 'normal' on the SC594 models, must have had regular complaints about it.

I'm going to swap mine about once I move into my permanent digs.
    I've been putting up with it but it is pretty irritating.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    StefB said:
    KrisGee said:

Why's that Kris?  I could never get PRS guitars I've had with the one piece design to intonate *quite* right.  Paul must have decided to change it for reasons other than just aesthetics?
    Edited post to say why and saw yours. It could be cuz of original McCarty model, my fave prs to date.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    i love Les Pauls but always struggled with them ergonomically, had a PRS Singlecut that i really liked, but the best of the lot for me is a Knaggs Kenai. Just the right amount of contouring, but that killer tone is all there.
    Steve Stevens & Doug Rappoport - 2 killer LP players playing Kenais, and used they are the bargain of the century.

i love Les Pauls but always struggled with them ergonomically, had a PRS Singlecut that i really liked, but the best of the lot for me is a Knaggs Kenai. Just the right amount of contouring, but that killer tone is all there.
    Steve Stevens & Doug Rappoport - 2 killer LP players playing Kenais, and used they are the bargain of the century.

Awesome guitars, I agree. Steve Stevens’ sig is not a Kenai though, it’s its own thing with different lines, thicker body and an “unconnected” two-piece bridge. The DR sig is a Kenai in name but still has quite a few tweaks - thicker back, same old fashioned 2-piece bridge and a different neck carve. 

The “classic” version though as pictured is still absolutely killer and yeah, Tier 3s secondhand can be had for a price which is almost insulting considering the quality of the build. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    I've got a stripped 58. £1.5k second hand but immaculate. It's my favourite guitar, big neck, resonant & comfortable. Does anything a les paul could do. I rate the 57/08 pups. Very open, well balanced between neck & bridge.
    There's nothing i don't like about it. I don't care if the brand is cool or not.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I have an SC58 and love it. I had it on sale for quite a long time with no real interest so took it down and played it again. Sounds great, feels great and happy that it's still mine!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Loved my old one. I’m a Lester man and always found PRS lovely to look at but lacking something in tone. SC58 nailed it.