Guitar recommendations please

What's Hot
Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
Hi all, just getting back into playing (if I ever really started) after 20 years. Got a lot more spare time now so needed a hobby again. I’ve narrowed my selection to a new ( I like new stuff, don’t hate me) Fender player series telecaster or a Gibson LP faded. Totally different I know but within £50 of each other . What do you think ? Grateful for all replies, good or bad.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12400
    What do you want to play?

Personally I would get a strat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited August 2018
    If you have an exact budget, you could do much worse than look at second hand guitars from trustworthy folks here. Or if you know someone that can play, take them with you & go visit some dealers locally 1 

Best guitars for the money I've seen across various new models are the Squire Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster (£370 or so) and the Yamaha 611VFM (£500-600 depending on finish), but like munckee says, a huge part of it boils down to what you wanna play.

Whatever the case, enjoy the journey, and post pics of what you end up with!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, talk about comparing polar opposites. Comparing side-by-side would be useful.

For me, if I were to only have one, it would be a Strat... but I'm me and you're you and the LP & Tele you are looking at might be the greatest ones of those ever made... so yeah.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9688
    edited August 2018
    There do seem to have been one or two issues with Fender’s Player Series instruments that you might want to think about before you commit...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/137315/string-spacing-at-nut-looks-off#1

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/137490/

If you’re after a Tele then, if you can stretch to it, take a squiz at the Classic Series or the Baja. If it doesn’t have to have Fender written on the headstock then the Squier Classic Vibe instruments get a lot of love here.

Whitecat said:
    For me, if I were to only have one, it would be a Strat... 
    munckee said:

Personally I would get a strat.
    ^^ what they said.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Ah, the 'which one should I get first' question.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    Veganic said:
    Yes it is, sorry.

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    If you fancy the Les Paul faded then for another £100 you could get the PRS SE Bernie Marsden which is fantastic for the money. https://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-se-bernie-marsden-ltd-edition-tobacco-sunburst-2018 Much better than the lower end Gibsons IMHO (and I own both).

There are some great guitars available s/h but I can understand your reluctance, especially as someone new to (or returning) to guitars. The PRS SE guitars from the WMI factory in Korea are well known for excellent playability out the case which takes a bit of the worry away.

fftc said:
    If you fancy the Les Paul faded then for another £100 you could get the PRS SE Bernie Marsden which is fantastic for the money. https://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-se-bernie-marsden-ltd-edition-tobacco-sunburst-2018 Much better than the lower end Gibsons IMHO (and I own both).

There are some great guitars available s/h but I can understand your reluctance, especially as someone new to (or returning) to guitars. The PRS SE guitars from the WMI factory in Korea are well known for excellent playability out the case which takes a bit of the worry away.

Thanks. I’ve also read good things about the Chapman guitar range being really good value for money. 

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Buy with your hands not your eyes
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Go and play them, play them both. Its the only way.
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    edited August 2018
    I agree with the above. It always amazes me how I go into a guitar shop with one particular model in mind - to then walk out with something completely different!!
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    edited August 2018

A lot of difference between Tele & LP.... so you know you will end up with both eventually but as the guys say trying them back to back in a shop is the way to go, you will find one that fits you and just feels right on you to play and the tone matches what you wanted in your head & that will be it. splash the cash. Which end of Essex are you ? If you are North Peach have enough in there to keep you amused for a whole month plus. If you are south then PMT in Romford/Southend ??

Nothing wrong with buying new.....it's your money your choice, but sometimes you can get twice the guitar you want SH or the one you want half price and still be pretty much as new. As an example a lovely American Special strat went on here recently cheaper than a new MIM strat.

bazxkr said:

A lot of difference between Tele & LP.... so you know you will end up with both eventually but as the guys say trying them back to back in a shop is the way to go, you will find one that fits you and just feels right on you to play and the tone matches what you wanted in your head & that will be it. splash the cash. Which end of Essex are you ? If you are North Peach have enough in there to keep you amused for a whole month plus. If you are south then PMT in Romford/Southend ??

Nothing wrong with buying new.....it's your money your choice, but sometimes you can get twice the guitar you want SH or the one you want half price and still be pretty much as new. As an example a lovely American Special strat went on here recently cheaper than an new MIM one.

Thanks. Peach is my shop of choice, I’m around 20 miles from there.

• Buy with your hands and your ears not your eyes
    ^ This ^
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9335
    You should definitely try, but if you want a guitar to cover all bases and you’re ok with a tele with a fatish neck, the baja Telecaster will cover every base going. If you get a les Paul, it’ll sound like a les Paul. Get a baja and it can sound like a tele, a strat and a humbucker guitar as well as getting out of phase tones. They’re stupid for the money, especially second hand. Someone is bound to have one for around £500
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Veganic said:
    Yes it is, sorry.

I just meant you will want them both eventually so get one now and one later.

It is a bit of an impossible question though. But fortunately you can't go wrong. 

(I would say there is no need to spend that much if you are on a budget and the amp choice may be more important. A good modelling amp will offer you a massive range of sounds. If you are not on a budget then spend more and sell it on if you don't like it. But I know nothing) 

• Thanks the reply’s. Decided to save a little cash and I’m off this afternoon to collect my new Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Will use this until I (hopefully) improve and then treat myself to something nicer. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Don’t be afraid to try something else, Yamaha, Reverend etc, there is such a huge choice these days 
  • bazxkr said:

Nothing wrong with buying new.....it's your money your choice, but sometimes you can get twice the guitar you want SH or the one you want half price and still be pretty much as new. As an example a lovely American Special strat went on here recently cheaper than an new MIM one.

Thanks. Peach is my shop of choice, I’m around 20 miles from there.

Being 20 miles from Peach is either a blessing or a curse :)
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Classic Vibe - second hand is 180-250 and they are fantastic guitars. Chapmans are pretty decent (and they do LP/S type so you can try both), but you need to try some and see what you like - the scale length of a guitar can feel very different to different people and you may not like one or the other.
    For learning I'd say a strat type would be a good option. Classic Vibe Tele tho is my no1 choice for quality and price