Building a Dumble Style Tweedle Dee Deluxe - Now Finished!

What's Hot
Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
edited September 2018 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
So it is starting this weekend, I already have all the parts, just need the faceplates finished off.
The Tweedle Dee is the Dumble modified Tweed Deluxe, from what I can see if will be more punchy, less saggy than a traditional Tweed Deluxe. (I have one of those here so will be able to compare them side by side.)

Pictures will be posted here for those interested
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I’m interested in this, the 5E3 being my favourite amp, and also having an interest in Dumbles.

Look forward to seeing more. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • interested too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Me too!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    So I am building a head version of this, I have way to many amps as it is to justify another combo.

This is the original Dumble amp here, pretty simple with some small changes. I was playing my Tweed Deluxe tonight, it sounds flipping great so it will be really interesting to see which one I prefer

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @hywelg said:
    Have you built one? I recall you being into Ceriatone kits and I know they do a Tweedle kit
    tFB Trader
    Ok so got started last night, after a few false starts I managed to get this done, not a lot but about to give it a good go now if I can keep my eyes open long enough.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    @hywelg said:
    Have you built one? I recall you being into Ceriatone kits and I know they do a Tweedle kit
    No, but I want to. 
    tFB Trader
    hywelg said:
    @hywelg said:
    No, but I want to. 
    Just got this one up and running, sounds like a deluxe, but punchier and hate to use "tone jargon" but ... notes bloom with easy controlled feedback and is super responsive to pick attach, more so than the tweed deluxe I have . Will try and do a video comparison in the future.
  • Interesting thread.

Can you summarise the circuit differences? Are there a lot of changes from the stock 5E3?

I have TWO 5E3’s and would be interested in converting one of them.

Cheers,
    Rob
    tFB Trader
    Interesting thread.

Can you summarise the circuit differences? Are there a lot of changes from the stock 5E3?

I have TWO 5E3’s and would be interested in converting one of them.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Hi Rob, there are quite a few difference.
    • Power supply is much stiffer, due to larger filter caps and an extra filter stage. this makes the response more snappy
    • The Rectifier is a GZ34, so less sag due to the internal resistance of the rectifier and slightly higher voltage.
    • The first stage is a 12AX7 rather than 12AY7, more gain.
    • There is local negative feedback on the phase inverter, this does a few things, but generally smooths things out a bit. it may also be helping the amp to clean up more quickly, but I have not done any tests to check that yet. I can turn the bright channel all the way up and it cleans up off the guitar volume really well.
    • In a 5E3 the first stages share the cathode resistor, Dumble has them split
    • Voltages are different through the amp
    If you have two deluxes, I would change one for sure, but you might just need to make a few of the changes rather than a rebuild. so far with my deluxe kits the best mod is to run 6L6's and a GZ34, just sounds so much better. transformers need to be up to the job though.
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    tFB Trader
    Here are some more images

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

A quick question (apologies for being a bit daft!). Are the two 'instrument' inputs duplicate channels, or are they voiced differently? Can 2 guitars be plugged in at once, or would that cause issues?

Cheers, and thanks for the FB chat last night :)

Adam

tFB Trader
    Hi Adam, the instruments inputs are a high and low set up, so in terms of what does it sound like 1 is higher gain, 2 is lower gain. The Mic channel can be used for guitar too, so yes you could plug in two guitars, or use a line selector pedal to choose which input you want to use, but... the inputs don't sound the same and the volume controls are highly interactive. hope that makes sense. cheers Michael

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Cheers for that, Michael
  • This looks very interesting.  I was aware of these mods but not seen anyone do them, or build this version of the 5E3.  I find with my stock 5E3 the transition to distortion is a bit harsh, particularly with lower notes on humbuckers and P90's.  Sounds glorious with a Strat.  I would imagine the PI feedback and additional headroom from the higher anode/cathode loading would make the most significant difference.

If you've gone the whole hog with 6L6's and GZ34 what transformers are you using?  Looks like Hammond in your photo's but can't see which ones.  I've got a Hammond PT in mine, might be man enough!

Very nice build too!
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    This looks very interesting.  I was aware of these mods but not seen anyone do them, or build this version of the 5E3.  I find with my stock 5E3 the transition to distortion is a bit harsh, particularly with lower notes on humbuckers and P90's.  Sounds glorious with a Strat.  I would imagine the PI feedback and additional headroom from the higher anode/cathode loading would make the most significant difference.

If you've gone the whole hog with 6L6's and GZ34 what transformers are you using?  Looks like Hammond in your photo's but can't see which ones.  I've got a Hammond PT in mine, might be man enough!

Very nice build too!
    I normally use my own custom deluxe transformers, but I have a few hammond Deluxe transformers to hand so have used one of those. It is a deluxe reverb power transformer so can handle the GZ34 an 6L6's just fine. check the spec on your transformers and make sure they don't run too hot with the bigger valves.

The other big thing is HAD changed the coupling caps to 22nf, this does not really affect the frequency response but reduces blocking distortion and is the first thing I would do to make your amp sound a little bit smoother.
  • Ive tried a few things to smooth it, including dropping the coupling caps down to 22nF, grid stopper on the PI, bigger stoppers on the 6V6's, they all help a little.  What I really need is to put mine side by side someone else's and see if there's something weird going on or they all sound like that!  I have played with Rob's lovely Gartone and I think mine is a bit more ragged but would need both in the same room.

Think my Hammond is the Deluxe Reverb version too - 290BEX.  However might just working on smoothing the distortion for now and keep it on 6V6's/5Y3.

tFB Trader
    Ive tried a few things to smooth it, including dropping the coupling caps down to 22nF, grid stopper on the PI, bigger stoppers on the 6V6's, they all help a little.  What I really need is to put mine side by side someone else's and see if there's something weird going on or they all sound like that!  I have played with Rob's lovely Gartone and I think mine is a bit more ragged but would need both in the same room.

Think my Hammond is the Deluxe Reverb version too - 290BEX.  However might just working on smoothing the distortion for now and keep it on 6V6's/5Y3.

Might just not be the right amp for you, saying that I think Gartone uses local negative feedback too, so worth a try, only two parts.
    Both my deluxe amps are fairly smooth, but deluxes are a bit more ragged compared to an 18w Marshall type amp, some sound like right fuzz machines.