Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Midtown - what's a fair price?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723

I really like mine.  Replaced the robo tuners, which were actually pretty good.  A no cost mod as I sold the robo tuners.
    Also swapped the pickups to Mojo, which tbh are just another flavour of PAF, perhaps a bit clearer.

But the guitar is a keeper, can happily pull off Jazz, blues, funk, rock, etc.  I payed £700 last year, some were going cheaper but the sunburst ones seemed to stay around £700.

Independent of whatever they were at any point in time, they are still excellent value well made guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossi said:
    I bought a Pelham blue one for 600 on blowout .Its a cracking guitar (not the neck) and sounds good .I dont mind the robo tuners ..Its a fraction large for me as I am small and also very old ,and I find its heavy in its case  to lug around .I might sell it but know I will regret it .
    In that case, I'll happily relieve you of the hardship of having to lug around such a heavy and cumbersome lump of a guitar!  =)

More than happy to match the £600 you paid for it new, so you don't lose a penny. Consider it a charitable service to an older fella.  ;)  
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    I've had two of them in recent years - sold one at £750 and the other at £800. Nice guitars - only sold as I bought an ES137 Custom Shop which covered what I needed
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited August 2018
    I bought my sunburst standard about 6 months ago for £550ish, however when I bought it it did have an area of cloudy finish on the back from reacting to stand.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1704
    rossi said:
    I bought a Pelham blue one for 600 on blowout .Its a cracking guitar (not the neck) and sounds good .I dont mind the robo tuners ..Its a fraction large for me as I am small and also very old ,and I find its heavy in its case  to lug around .I might sell it but know I will regret it .
    In that case, I'll happily relieve you of the hardship of having to lug around such a heavy and cumbersome lump of a guitar!  =)

More than happy to match the £600 you paid for it new, so you don't lose a penny. Consider it a charitable service to an older fella.  ;)  
    tempted actually . willl think hard
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossi said:
    rossi said:

tempted actually . willl think hard
    Cool, just let me know. Would have to be posted mind you, don't fancy 9 hour round trip to Norfolk!  :)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1704
    edited August 2018
    no problem I live in Norfolk

edit sorry misread it
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    I bought a P90 version with added Bigsby a few weeks back for £750. Great guitar, really happy with it. I was looking for a natural finish Custom but this one came up and I love P90's. No regrets :) Would love to get hold of Natural Custom one some day though.

I spent some time looking and saw a Midtown Standard P90 go for under £600, gutted I missed out on that one and a headstock repair Pelham Blue one go for not much over £400. But I'd say realistically your looking to pay between £700 - £850 (the first issue 2 control knob versions being the cheapest), then there's the Deluxe versions that creep up into the £1k price range.
  • There's one up on the Facebook groups at the minute for £800 with no bites yet. I'm sure that could be haggled down by someone with you acumen 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • There's one up on the Facebook groups at the minute for £800 with no bites yet. I'm sure that could be haggled down by someone with you acumen 
    Yeah I've seen that one. Not 100% sold on the look of those earlier ones, especially the white pickup surrounds and the two white control knobs. Doesn't look right somehow.

I kinda want it to look like a 335 that's been shrunk in the wash to match my shortarse stature. Fussy sod, I know! 
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    edited September 2018
    got a black standard that I was able to get a gibson scratchplate for and looks amazing 
    https://i.imgur.com/PFqwPpk.jpg
  • That looks pretty tidy! Is that one of the 2015 ones with the robo-tuners?
  • Yeah but I changed the tuners to Grover's as I hated the stupid tuners.. its my favourite guitar as it has that vibe plus looking at eBay I think people are pushing there luck with some midtown's 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263679136543
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    Worth noting that the later 2015 guitars came with grovers from the factory -- mine did and i have the pic gibson supply with the guitar on the bench and you can see the tuners. 
  • Tat2dstesh said: 
    Yeah but I changed the tuners to Grover's as I hated the stupid tuners.. its my favourite guitar as it has that vibe plus looking at eBay I think people are pushing there luck with some midtown's 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263679136543

To be fair, that guy explicitly says he's not looking for a sale, just trades. Hence the silly BIN price. Not sure why he's putting it on eBay if he wants a trade though, seems an odd decision!
  • Had one of these. Solid guitar, stayed in tune very well. Mine had regular tuners, not the silly electronic ones.
    Alongside a regular 335 style guitar, I thought the regular sized ones sounded better (deeper etc), which is why I sold mine. Really good guitar though if that's what you're after...