Helix HX v Strymon

What's Hot
HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
edited August 2018 in FX
I was thinking about getting a Timeline but after seeing some interesting discussions here and other forums I wondered would a Helix HX cover the same ground delay and quality wise as the Strymon, plus you get all the other FX for pretty much a similar price in the pre-owned market.

All thoughts highly appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    I have a mobius and  a hx .   The mobius is far better than the hx sound wise.

The hx is easier for tweaking
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Throwing in a curveball with a Boss DD-500 mention, if you hadn't already considered it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The HX will give you some workable delay sounds, but overall the quality of the HX left me cold. Just a personal preference, but overall the Timeline is way better, and at that price you would expect it to be. It is all personal though, and I am a fanboy eejit for Strymon pedals.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2443
    Quality is in the ear of the beholder. For me, HX is just a fantastic tool. It now covers all my delay, reverb and modulation needs with a few drives and filters every now and again. 

The timeline is awesome. The mobius is awesome. The big sky is awesome. strymon are awesome. But...they’re all expensive. The old you get what you pay for is definitely relevant. In my opinion with the HX, you get a massive shitload more than what you pay for. And remember, it will be updated and added to relatively frequently, can do a ton more stuff and can work in a lot of other configurations. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    The price of the HX is fantastic for what you get. However, I tried the delays and reverbs back on the Helix and they were not as exciting as I had hoped. If you are really into reverbs and delays, I don't think you can beat a proper dedicated pedal or two. 

Ideally, a digital pedal like the DD-500, with an analog one alongside.
  • Quality is in the ear of the beholder. For me, HX is just a fantastic tool. It now covers all my delay, reverb and modulation needs with a few drives and filters every now and again. 

The timeline is awesome. The mobius is awesome. The big sky is awesome. strymon are awesome. But...they’re all expensive. The old you get what you pay for is definitely relevant. In my opinion with the HX, you get a massive shitload more than what you pay for. And remember, it will be updated and added to relatively frequently, can do a ton more stuff and can work in a lot of other configurations. 
    I wasn’t knocking the HX generally, you do get a huge amount for what you pay, and the quality isn’t bad at all, it just wasn’t for me, that’s all.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2443
    Quality is in the ear of the beholder. For me, HX is just a fantastic tool. It now covers all my delay, reverb and modulation needs with a few drives and filters every now and again. 

I wasn’t knocking the HX generally, you do get a huge amount for what you pay, and the quality isn’t bad at all, it just wasn’t for me, that’s all.
    Sorry, apologies if that came across as a dig. For me the HX just covers so much ground it makes sense. Along with everything else it does the size makes sense too. If you’ve seen my new pedalboard, the Strymons or even the Boss stuff would have meant needing a much bigger board and it’s too bloody big at the moment. My only beef with HX is the size of the psu. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28346
    Does the HX give you the parallel paths and so on of the normal Helix?

If so you can treat the various models as building blocks. Adding some EQ, modulation, pitch shift or whatever else floats your boat to a delay that's set to wet-only on a parallel path gives you huge scope for manipulating the sound.

Also, while I've not tried a Strymon for comparison, the Helix effects in isolation are very decent.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27055
    I liked my Helix more than the Timeline for delays. Way more flexible too. Not sure how easy the HX is to program signals chains & parallel stuff (if it even does that?)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Sporky said:
    Does the HX give you the parallel paths and so on of the normal Helix?

If so you can treat the various models as building blocks. Adding some EQ, modulation, pitch shift or whatever else floats your boat to a delay that's set to wet-only on a parallel path gives you huge scope for manipulating the sound.

Also, while I've not tried a Strymon for comparison, the Helix effects in isolation are very decent.

the parallel paths in the helix family are brilliant for this. granted its probably more work than a dedicated cool preset on the strymons, but with a 'dry' path and one with loadsa stuff swirling in the background, I loose hours of my life :P

I sold my timeline and Mobius when I got Helix, however have since bought an el-cap. love the tape styles on 'cap and in helix.

I would personally have a HX over the strymons,

• SporkySporky Frets: 28346
    sgosden said:

its probably more work than a dedicated cool preset on the strymons
    That's a very good point. Depends what one's priorities are, I s'pose.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Quality is in the ear of the beholder. For me, HX is just a fantastic tool. It now covers all my delay, reverb and modulation needs with a few drives and filters every now and again. 

Sorry, apologies if that came across as a dig. For me the HX just covers so much ground it makes sense. Along with everything else it does the size makes sense too. If you’ve seen my new pedalboard, the Strymons or even the Boss stuff would have meant needing a much bigger board and it’s too bloody big at the moment. My only beef with HX is the size of the psu. 
    Maybe it's worth trying it in a better amp.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9547

I must agree with Ross here...

The HX began my start of a new journey, when I realised that the bulk of delay and verb needs could be met by the HX.
    I sold my beloved Big Sky and Timeline as a result of the HX...

It's hidden and best feature though, is as an A/B stereo unit for TWO amps. Silent, brilliant, unlimited routing and great sounds.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I dont like the fx generally on the helix (LT/full fat) and I prefer getting my sounds from other sources. 
    But for a covers band or something in that vain a would probably use a HX happily enough as I wouldn't be too precious over the end product, hell i'm lazy, I'd probably even use the helix to save on loading in and out grief. 

I think you have to try the hx next to the timeline to get a sense of which you prefer. The HX is infinitely more flexible but that depends if you want or need all the extras. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The Space Echo on HX is perhaps the best digital representation of an analog delay over ever heard including anything in the Timeline. It’s truly magnificent and I can get lost for hours just listening to it decay.

imo Helix can do anything the Timeline can do just as good or better

the Mobius not so much but passable

• The price of the HX is fantastic for what you get. However, I tried the delays and reverbs back on the Helix and they were not as exciting as I had hoped. If you are really into reverbs and delays, I don't think you can beat a proper dedicated pedal or two. 

Ideally, a digital pedal like the DD-500, with an analog one alongside.
    There’s been new reverbs added since then. Those reverbs were just ported from the M series stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom