Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tablet recommendations for an imbecile...

What's Hot

Comments

• TTony said:
    What sort of phone does your wife use?

If it's an iPhone, then the similarity between iOS on phone and iPad would strongly suggest iPad despite the iPad often being the more expensive option.  The familiarity is worth paying for.

It's also worth considering what she'll use the tablet for, and then compare the range/quality of apps available for those purposes on Apple vs Android.

Alternatively, if she's just going to be reading books, one of the dedicated book reader devices is probably cheaper and more suited to that particular task.
    She's using a Samsung Tony....she likes the Samsung 10" tab thingy she was looking at in tesco earlier, which at £170 I thought was daftly overpriced, until I've just looked at the Apple stuff, and now realise I'm the daft bugger vis vis the cost of these gizmo's. 

It's my intention to buy a few downloads of films and boxsets to break up the time she'll be spending in the chemo suite. 

I may just buy her a book, and dig out me old walkman....

Thanks very much for all the input Gentlemen, which despite my frivolity, is especially appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    She's using a Samsung Tony....she likes the Samsung 10" tab thingy she was looking at in tesco earlier, which at £170 I thought was daftly overpriced, until I've just looked at the Apple stuff, and now realise I'm the daft bugger vis vis the cost of these gizmo's. 

Don't look at the cost of the Samsung Tab S3 then.

I think £170 is a bargain for a decent 10-inch tablet if you think about all the bits that are involved, and fitting them into a pretty slim package.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    For the basics the Amazon tablets are good, and cheap.
  • Sporky said:

I think £170 is a bargain for a decent 10-inch tablet if you think about all the bits that are involved, and fitting them into a pretty slim package.
    Bloody hell...I'm glad it was just me looking.

My cards have just had a heart event....
  • underdog said:
    That's another one my good lady likes...the Fire HD 10.

Seems to be between the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Fire, both around 150-170 nicker.

Which one Lads?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    underdog said:

Seems to be between the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Fire, both around 150-170 nicker.

Which one Lads?
    I'd go Samsung.  With the Amazon one it locks you into their ecosystem.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Which one Lads?
    I was really impressed with the screen image on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and 3.  The 10".
    And because that's the thing you're staring into I have that right at the top of my check list.
    I'd have gone with the Samsung if I could have.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    crunchman said:
    underdog said:

Which one Lads?

It doesn't, you just need to install Google play services on there, takes about 5 mins.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    Sporky said:

Bloody hell...I'm glad it was just me looking.

My cards have just had a heart event....
    I got mine at Samsung staff rate. Plus a packet of chocolate Hobnobs for our Samsung rep.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

At home we have a Hudl, an Amazon Fire HD, a Tab and 2 iPads.

The iPads are by far the best. Although yes, they are the expensive option.

I work for one the rival manufacturers but as a consumer I'd still choose Apple over our own products.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Image result for tin cans with string walkie talkie
    tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    crunchman said:
    underdog said:

Which one Lads?
    Our Maud has both - she says the Fire has poor battery life compared with the Samsung.

(Hope the treatment is successful, BTW).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hootsmon said:
    Image result for tin cans with string walkie talkie
    I see you went for the Mk2..bloody yuppy...
  • Thanks for all your help Lads, and kind words, much appreciated. 

After vacillating all day between £60 ones ( me) and the price of a small car ones (Swmbo) ...we've ( well I say we...) have decided to go for the Samsung thingy in Tesco at 170 nicker...rather like shoes, the first fookin one she looked at....

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24320
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Would a 10"-12" laptop be more appropriate? She doesn't want to be holding the thing for 6 hours and the stands for tablets aren't great. Chuck a load of films/TV series on and you're good to go.
  • @ourmaninthenorth I'm another iPhone/iPad/Macbook Pro owner and I've never regretted splashing out the extra dosh on them. Some Android units are bound to be better VFM but some others will just be cheaply made and give problems. The Apple stuff just works - as long as you go with the flow and use them the way they were designed to be used rather than expect them to work like a Windows PC or (bless) a Unix workstation. 

However, as a reluctant user of my local chemotherapy suite in 2016 (18 days over 6 months) I can tell you your wife's main activity will be to go to sleep and do nothing. 

Hope it goes well for her. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited September 2018
    [sorted]
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5503
    Thanks for all your help Lads, and kind words, much appreciated. 

After vacillating all day between £60 ones ( me) and the price of a small car ones (Swmbo) ...we've ( well I say we...) have decided to go for the Samsung thingy in Tesco at 170 nicker...rather like shoes, the first fookin one she looked at....

I'm late to this thread but was gonna say the Samsung Tab A6. Is that the one you've bought?
    I got it for work 18 months ago and it's so good that I use it every day for non-work stuff too.
  • @ourmaninthenorth I'm another iPhone/iPad/Macbook Pro owner and I've never regretted splashing out the extra dosh on them. Some Android units are bound to be better VFM but some others will just be cheaply made and give problems. The Apple stuff just works - as long as you go with the flow and use them the way they were designed to be used rather than expect them to work like a Windows PC or (bless) a Unix workstation. 

However, as a reluctant user of my local chemotherapy suite in 2016 (18 days over 6 months) I can tell you your wife's main activity will be to go to sleep and do nothing. 

Hope it goes well for her. 
    Thanks Pal.