SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Classic Player 50's Strat

What's Hot
KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Greetings folks,

Following on from my 'Whats a good cheap Strat/Tele' thread, I've had a look at a few things online, and come to the conclusion I'd like to get my hands on one of the Classic Player Strats.

I don't have any requirements regarding condition (except it must be mechanically sound, obviously) of guitar, but not interested if frets are in need of replacement....unless price reflects that.

Other spec that I am looking for - maple fingerboard, surf green/sonic blue/daphne blue/LP blue colour,

Being in/around central Scotland would be a bonus, as I won't have the chance to travel much over the next couple of months.

Budget? Less than £500

Cheers,

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @shaunm has a lovely gold one for sale.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Yes, I noticed that, but the colour really doesn't do it for me, Im afraid - Sorry Shaun!

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Adam

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4832
    edited August 2018
    I may be wrong so shoot me if I am, but I think the 50's Classic Player (the only one with a maple board) only came in Shoreline Gold, 2TSB, and I've seen a black one too. That's it, the 60's one with rosewood board comes in Sonic Blue though. I can personally vouch for Shauns guitar as it was mine before and has been upgraded with a Kev block on the trem, it's not as gold as you think either, it's like a silver gold.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

In that case, my ooops! Could've sworn there was one on Reverb in sonic blue/maple. But I'm sure you're correct. A rethink, perhaps. And another look at Shauns'.

Adam

There are a few I've seen that have been refinished (there was one on here a while back), and also people sometimes list the classic series as classic players not realising, so could've been one of them perhaps? I do stand to be corrected though as it was a long time ago I bought mine, but I've only seen the colours I mentioned in shops, just do a quick Google maybe to be sure.

Good luck with the search!

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I think you are looking for the classic series rather than the classic player.

Ok, may I ask what, roughly speaking, is the difference?

Cheers,

Adam

edited August 2018
    It's just a better guitar, basically kind of a mexican custom shop with US custom shop input. Has US parts, pickups, locking tuners, 2 point US trem, RWRP middle pickup, also has unique 5 way switch where the neck and bridge pickup are on at the same time in position 4 and sounds great. The finish is noticeably better than a standard mex as well, it's a thin skin poly, plus it was setup by Nigel at Leicestershire Guitar Luthier and plays really well.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Boromedic - apologies, my brain isn't playing ball today, which is considered the better guitar? The classic series or classic player?

Cheers,

Adam

edited August 2018
    The classic player easily for me

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    I can vouch for these 50's classic players too, I also have a shoreline gold. Its the only strat I've had so far which I've bonded with, and that's including an American standard. 

The gold finish is subtle and classy, not as brash as Aztec gold.

Nothing needs to be changed on it. Great value.
    It's Music Radar so take it with a pinch of salt and also they've cocked a few specs up (not least finishes) but it gives you some insight:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-classic-player-50s-stratocaster-26214