P90 spacers for dog ears?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10542
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    @TheGuitarWeasel ;

Thanks for the explanation Ash - I think my mistake was assuming that I could take the cover off a soapbar P90, and fit the pickup under the dog ear cover.

Looks like a I need a pickup designed to be under the dogear cover. 

Now ... where will I find one of those ...
    ;)
    Or send me your soapbar and I'll convert it ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16732
    KKJale said:
    WezV said:
    the other ones you can buy are stupidly oversized. 

Just to mention, the Lollar ones are the perfect size, dead flush, no overhang at all. 
    didn't know he was also making them.

To be clear, "the others i was talking about are the commonly available ones sold by normal most other parts suppliers.  Not ones specially made by the high end pickup makers

Like this MIJ (allparts)  set i have here

They still work, but to trim them you have to fit them to the guitar, score around the cover to get an outline, then carefully reshape the whole thing without distroying the very delicate long sides

• AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    @stickyfiddle I'm not getting much rattles - it's VERY resonant, though, so I'm expecting some! I'm getting some fret-buzz (as I do with most new gibsons) because the strings are too light and the action to low for my Rory/SRV-like approach to playing!!! About to sort that out.

The scratch-plate can rattle-resonate if I accidentally pluck at it with my little finger when playing. Certain percussive playing can set it off too (sounds like when you hold a ruler on the edge of a desk and then ping it).

JUST figured out how to post pictures on here... off to do a NGD :-)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    AndyR said:
    Just ordered two sets of your spacers on your website @TheGuitarWeasel :)

Been meaning to order a set for ages (for a Jin-Go in a Feline that is propped up with bits of ice lolly stick and blutack and god knows what at the moment!!)

What's pushed me over the edge is that I've found that I too am a "New ES330 owner", likely to want to lower the poles a bit and raise the pickups (especially when I've switched to 11s and raised the action a tad)

Andy - you know I keep these in stock?
    You could have had one if you were finding the dogear P90 in your Feline guitar a bit low .

In fact it was me asking Ash about them that gave him the nudge to make some via his laser cutter, and a nice job he did too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

AndyR said:
    Just ordered two sets of your spacers on your website @TheGuitarWeasel :)

Been meaning to order a set for ages (for a Jin-Go in a Feline that is propped up with bits of ice lolly stick and blutack and god knows what at the moment!!)

What's pushed me over the edge is that I've found that I too am a "New ES330 owner", likely to want to lower the poles a bit and raise the pickups (especially when I've switched to 11s and raised the action a tad)

Andy - you know I keep these in stock?
    You could have had one if you were finding the dogear P90 in your Feline guitar a bit low .

In fact it was me asking Ash about them that gave him the nudge to make some via his laser cutter, and a nice job he did too.

Duh!! Never even thought of that! Of course, it's obvious! Oh well

I'd managed to figure out how to make P90s do what I want in the Feline - and raising the poles is NOT what I want!! lol Managed to improve my other P90 guitars to my taste after that (but the Feline's the only dog-ear guitar)

So I had the old lollipop sticks in there (and to be honest- it works!) ... but after I'd done it I saw the posts about Ash's spacers months ago and thought I'll get some of those one day...

Having just got home with a 330, and then this thread was top of the pile, all fell into place.
    edited September 2018
    Out of interest, does yours rattle? Mine has a rattle noise when I dig in on an open A or G chord. I can’t work out whether it’s the switch or a wire vibrating against something inside. I’m sure enough it’s not the bridge but can work it out!
    I switched to 11s this evening. It rattled like a BAR-STEWARD after that - it is SO much more lively, loud, and resonant with 11s.

On mine it was the open D and the G on the 5th fret on that string.

Tracked it down to one of the dog-ears on the bridge - high E side. Checked out bridge, tailpiece, strap knobs, tuners, controls, none of those. Took the scratch plate off - still rattled. Decided to start with the bridge pickup, loosened the lower dog-ear screw, tried again, rattle gone. Tightened it up to where it was, rattle returned, loosened half a turn - rattle gone.

You never know, it might be that simple on yours too?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, good to know. Will try that this evening. Not sure I fully understand what would make it rattle there, but won’t complain if that fixes it :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • AndyR said:
    Out of interest, does yours rattle? Mine has a rattle noise when I dig in on an open A or G chord. I can’t work out whether it’s the switch or a wire vibrating against something inside. I’m sure enough it’s not the bridge but can work it out!
    I switched to 11s this evening. It rattled like a BAR-STEWARD after that - it is SO much more lively, loud, and resonant with 11s.

Tracked it down to one of the dog-ears on the bridge - high E side. Checked out bridge, tailpiece, strap knobs, tuners, controls, none of those. Took the scratch plate off - still rattled. Decided to start with the bridge pickup, loosened the lower dog-ear screw, tried again, rattle gone. Tightened it up to where it was, rattle returned, loosened half a turn - rattle gone.

Just tried the pickup screw thing. I loosened both screws on the bridge pickup, which made it way worse. Then tightened them again, and it seems to have stopped. 

Not sure I understand exactly what was vibrating, but I'm pretty sure that was the main cause. Happy days and wisdom for you, sir!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10542
    tFB Trader
    AndyR said:

Just tried the pickup screw thing. I loosened both screws on the bridge pickup, which made it way worse. Then tightened them again, and it seems to have stopped. 

Not sure I understand exactly what was vibrating, but I'm pretty sure that was the main cause. Happy days and wisdom for you, sir!
    The dogear base vibrates in the pickup well ... partially suspended by the output wires ... like snare springs. Tighten sown and you trap that base-plate securely.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message