Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best LP 'copy'

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72371
    TheGuitarWeasel said:

Appreciate the workmanship ... but damn those are ugly! 
    I actually quite like the shape, but when combined with the classic Les Paul hardware and finish it’s just an abomination.

If they were modern colours and with different hardware they would look quite nice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Gotta say they look really wrong to me, ugly in fact but i think they're a modern shape so they should go with that, bright colours, metallics flakey paint jobs etc

Find different hardware and pickguards plus different pickups maybe
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've always been an admirer of the Bartlett Retrospec. Just close enough that it should sound spot on, but just far enough away that it doesn't feel like a weird compromise. SUPER un-cheap though...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    TheGuitarWeasel said:

I actually quite like the shape, but when combined with the classic Les Paul hardware and finish it’s just an abomination.

If they were modern colours and with different hardware they would look quite nice.
    That's exactly it ... you see the shape ... which on its own is fine ... then you see the hardware and finish ... which belongs to a totally different guitar ... and get a mental disconnect. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

That's exactly it ... you see the shape ... which on its own is fine ... then you see the hardware and finish ... which belongs to a totally different guitar ... and get a mental disconnect. 
    Even the Bartlett is similar - it looks great in all black, it has a cool retro Guild/Hagstrom-type vibe about it... but less good with cream and gold hardware, and awful in sunburst - it then becomes a Les Paul which is the wrong shape.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    The correct answer of course is a Yaron.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    The correct answer of course is a Yaron.
    Isn't he only doing his own weird shape these days, too?

It's like someone tried to make a bar of soap in the shape of an LP, and it's basically now a posh Guild Bluesbird copy.

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    I've always been an admirer of the Bartlett Retrospec. Just close enough that it should sound spot on, but just far enough away that it doesn't feel like a weird compromise. SUPER un-cheap though...

That one.  Awesome looking thing.  Can't really tell from the pic; is that matte black? 
    edited September 2018
    It's like someone tried to make a bar of soap in the shape of an LP, and it's basically now a posh Guild Bluesbird copy.
    ... with a reversed National/Supro headstock.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/08/b3/22/08b322ddf07b87ef74aa391e0ad08d08--guitar-room-lapa.jpg

I have to say it's disappointingly bland and uninspiring given the quality of his workmanship.

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I have been tempted many times to go for one of these:

http://japanguitar-handmade.com/gb/on-demand/172-momose-mls1-std-2
  • SteveF said:
    I've always been an admirer of the Bartlett Retrospec. Just close enough that it should sound spot on, but just far enough away that it doesn't feel like a weird compromise. SUPER un-cheap though...

That one.  Awesome looking thing.  Can't really tell from the pic; is that matte black? 
    I think it's a VOS-alike sort of finish. Thin and not shiny but not uniformly matte. I'd *love* one in a blacktop finish

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22893
    ICBM said:
    TheGuitarWeasel said:

@ICBM ; @customkits ; @TheGuitarWeasel  ;They do modern colours, different control layouts etc as well, of course.  I suspect the "vintage LP in a modern shape" models may not be what Springer most wants to make, but it captures a few customers he might not otherwise appeal to.

I'm not at all surprised it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I really like the body shape and the inlays.  Not 100% sold on the headstock but I guess it matches the body quite well.

If (...big if) I was to choose I'd go for a more modern variant of the Seraph.  But I do really like the relic LP Junior and Special-alikes!
  • Philly_Q said:
    I don't know how good they are and I don't expect I'll ever get the chance to find out, but I really like the look of the Springer Seraph and Spartan:

I had a Spartan a while back. Traded it on here actually. It was not much over 5lbs. Beautifully built, maybe a bit too light if anything, but a really fun guitar. I don't mind the shape at all, but definitely understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea,
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited September 2018
    A quick vid that was shot on an iPhone when messing around with a burst over at @customkits  place... (not been bursted yet )

This guitar played unlike anything I’ve tried from Gibson, standards, r9’s etc, none of them come close to this!... excuse the shonky playing... but... sounds like a LP to me!...

https://youtu.be/RVTRkzKRjQA
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    A quick bid that was shot on an iPhone when messing around with a burst over at @customkits  place... (not been bursted yet )

This guitar played unlike anything I’ve tried from Gibson, standards, r9’s etc, none of them come close to this!... excuse the shonky playing... but... sounds like a LP to me!...

Sounds like an LP to me too ... 
    I have to go visit custom kits!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Take a selection of PAF’s with you :)
    and a cheque book ;)

getting away from LP’s the tele with your liquidator was used in anger last Saturday... oh my word!... thank you for that :)
  • poopot said:
    A quick vid that was shot on an iPhone when messing around with a burst over at @customkits  place... (not been bursted yet )

That's the sound isn't it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

That's the sound isn't it! 
    It’s not just the sound... I’m very lucky in that I have an associate who has a vintage collection to die for. Amongst it is a genuine unmolested burst. @customkits stuff is as close to that guitar as you will ever get... 

there seems to to be more space to play abound the 12fret on the old Gibson’s and it’s exactly the same with Darren’s stuff... 

modern day gibsons do not feel the same, even the “historic” versions...

im currently trying to offload a kidney so I can have one built... (it’s either the kidney or the kids and I’m not allowed to sell them apparently)...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just to add... @customkits  does the p90 thing very well as well :)

https://youtu.be/SoeLX_Qntd4
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Take a selection of PAF’s with you :)
    and a cheque book ;)

getting away from LP’s the tele with your liquidator was used in anger last Saturday... oh my word!... thank you for that :)
    Glad you enjoy the Liquidator ... it's a nasty little bugger isn't it? :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom