Pedals and the TFB Jams

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Fair enough - thanks for clearing. If I've misread/interpreted others will have too :)

Fwiw - I like the idea, just didn't want you guys getting shit for it..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, having pondered and listened to you all, I think a fixed backline and the ability to swap boards out (managed of course) so long as you can do it quickly is the right method.

For those who don’t want to bring a board or are too worried about the actual playing - @TTony is on that ;)

Is that a reasonable compromise?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I've been to two jams and I was very rusty. However I had done some live playing around 2012.

So at quad instead of a board I brought a full drive 2 and quite a lot of people used it. However it was connected to my matchless...

At water rats with the no amp rule I sneaked in a board with 4 over drives on it for people to use. Ian used my klon and I think nobody else bothered.

Using an overdrive at these events for me is running the drives louder than clean and adjusting the guitar volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6882
    Well, having pondered and listened to you all, I think a fixed backline and the ability to swap boards out (managed of course) so long as you can do it quickly is the right method.

For those who don’t want to bring a board or are too worried about the actual playing - @TTony is on that ;)

Will Tony be stepping on the pedals for us? I’ve always wanted a guitar tech to do that for me...It’s so rock and roll!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @TTony @Bridgehouse saying all of that I do have a digitech tone drive pedal going spare I don't mind donating...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @TTony @Bridgehouse saying all of that I do have a digitech tone drive pedal going spare I don't mind donating...
    ;) You’re a good man 

• mrkb said:
    Well, having pondered and listened to you all, I think a fixed backline and the ability to swap boards out (managed of course) so long as you can do it quickly is the right method.

Will Tony be stepping on the pedals for us? I’ve always wanted a guitar tech to do that for me...It’s so rock and roll!
    For the right payment I believe @TTony will do pretty much anything ;)
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited September 2018

My 2p worth ..

What would everyone bringing in their own boards do for the sound engineer recording the session ?

I'm guessing Bob (or whoever - just basing my observations off the recent HudderSquatch jam) sets his levels with the amps in the room / drums/bass DI and there's a vocal PA for foldback .

Let's say Guitarist A plugs in his board , dimes the overdrive and boosts for the solo ...Guitarist B has to turn up a bit because now he can't quite hear himself (remember either or both of these may never have played with other musicians before ), engineers levels are now all fubar'd , vocals overstrain and can't be heard in the room and it all ends up slightly scrappier than it should .

I think theres a good arguement for a Jammers pedal board . I have a couple of Joyo's that i would happily donate but i also think that song choice has a lot to play aswell .

Choosing more songs with simple tones might help negate any issues .

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5387
    I'd assume that if anyone in the room is too loud a simple STFU amongst the players would suffice?

At Hudd I /think/ Bob used the dry run to tweak his levels before recording the second attempt. But I could be way off base on that (and there were a few boards and lots of discrete amp twiddling going on too). I guess the diming an OD thing comes back to Rule 1.
  • Snags said:
    I'd assume that if anyone in the room is too loud a simple STFU amongst the players would suffice?

At Hudd I /think/ Bob used the dry run to tweak his levels before recording the second attempt. But I could be way off base on that (and there were a few boards and lots of discrete amp twiddling going on too). I guess the diming an OD thing comes back to Rule 1.
    I'd actually say that people were pretty good at setting their levels in the room to not be too bad.

Bob's dry run then recording run method also worked really well and I'd commend it for future jams (except quad where we aren't recording, except with a camera in the room).
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Also does anyone have one of these?  Seems like a good fit for my mini board...

• Snags said:

I'd actually say that people were pretty good at setting their levels in the room to not be too bad.

Bob's dry run then recording run method also worked really well and I'd commend it for future jams (except quad where we aren't recording, except with a camera in the room).
    Yes, they were - if I can get the setup as slick at Quad then I’m going to try the dry run then “proper” go through
    Also does anyone have one of these?  Seems like a good fit for my mini board...

I've heard good things about them but - look at the power consumption - most PSUs have slots for 100ma and perhaps a couple of bigger ones so at 160Ma this would be over.

What function are you wanting from it? Are you hoping it to cover delay & reverb? It's a toggle switch so it's one or the other, can't have both. 

I have one of these Keeley Caverns - Got it for £135 new last year, sits nicely on the end of my board and covers off all reverb and delay needs. Probably a few floating around on the cheap now - not saying get that, but if your hoping for a 2-in-1 - the echoverb isn't it :)
  • LuttiS said:
     but if your hoping for a 2-in-1 - the echoverb isn't it :)

For most things I like to play (Oasis for example, though not exclusively them, Arctic Monkeys as well say) It's all about drive and volume, so maybe at first go I can be even simpler, a drive for drive, a drive for boost, a couple of other things I have anyway...?
    LuttiS said:
     but if your hoping for a 2-in-1 - the echoverb isn't it :)

For most things I like to play (Oasis for example, though not exclusively them, Arctic Monkeys as well say) It's all about drive and volume, so maybe at first go I can be even simpler, a drive for drive, a drive for boost, a couple of other things I have anyway...?
    Exactly that.. go with what you need, then get fun involved :)
    Obvious starting point is ... what do you use now to achieve those?  if it's all in the Katana, how have you got it configured?

My starting point for a mini-board was:
    • where do I want to use it?
    • what kind of music is that going to be?
    • what are the things I use a lot as a general rule anyway, and feel a bit uncomfortable when they're not available?
  • Thanks Snags, interesting questions.

I usually have two styles at home on the Katana.  One is basically the crunch channel with an "indie" level of gain, as I'm playing by myself I don't need to worry about cutting through more if I start playing lead instead of chords/riffs, so I just switch pickup or change nothing.  FX wise just a bit of reverb, sometimes the tubescreamer model.

The other style would be a slightly driven bluesy noodle, which would be clean channel, bit of one of the modelled drive pedals (the blues drive one usually) and some delay and reverb.

Nothing flashy.  I do have a Boss GT-8 but whenever I get it out I just tinker with the patches and not really play.  I'm trying to get more "feels" to it, so for me right now simple is better.

The board is more with playing with others in mind, especially at the jams.  I'm already booked on three and might get away with signing up to the fourth at some point depending on negotiations with the missus, so it would get used.  I'd eave it plugged in at home to get used to it of course.

It could be a simple as a single pedal like a TS mini but i love the little tone city fuzz i have (its like a QOTSA riff button) and the compressor is good to try, so may as well put them on there, might have a little looper coming my way as well.

I might skip the tuner as I own about ten clip on ones!

Does that sort of make sense @snags ?
    edited September 2018
    @darthed1981 ;;

Here's my miniboard.. 

It's basic but can cover most things that i need.. 

Goes Mooer tuner (£20ish) --> Juansolo ICBM'77 Fuzz (£30 - this is going as just playing with Pumpkins sounds atm..) Tone City Bad Horse (£20 - Klon clone/low drive) --> Golden Plexi (Plexi dist - use as lead boost or heavy rhythm where i use horse as lead boost boost £25) --> Summer Orange Phaser (£25 - Don't really use, but it's a fun effect) --> Keeley Caverns (£135 - Do it all reverb/delay - has everyday spring reverb + delay, can also do super fun ambient cavernous sounds). 
    Harley Benton Spaceship pedal board - £30ish. It has a Spaceship on so you know it's good. 

I could happily just go with the Tuner, Horse, Plexi & Caverns as a super basic board. Can get a great range of sounds from just these.  I play rock/metal and blues, does all of that.

So yeah.. you don't need loads.
    Yup, that makes sense.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the compressor, at least not on a first pass.  If you're mostly using crunch/gain sounds then it's unlikely to add much, and may take away.  (I've only got one because I had it lying around and it seemed a shame not to use it).

If you've got a fuzz you like, then something like a TS mini to complement/provide alternatives, and a simple delay should do you proud, I'd have thought.  Particularly as you can always have the amp on crunch to start with, and boost a bit with the TS - it doesn't necessarily have to all come from the floor, as it were.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited September 2018
    I’ve got mine sorted now for waterrats...

will mainly use it just for a bit of chorus, possibly some slapback.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom