Is this strat genuine or fake?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    DrBob said:
    Also I see quite a lot of people “fudging” the American/Mexican issue when selling Highway Ones and American Specials 
    What is to be fudged as both are made in America, aren't they?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The buyer said they would get the serial number for me later but said they had a screen shot of when they checked it earlier and it came up with.

2007 fsr deluxe player strat mn ssb

So SSB refers to the colour (sienna sunburst) fsr (is fender special run) not sure what mn means (have googled it)
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And found this, looks exactly the same - same pickguard as well

https://reverb.com/uk/item/553391-fender-fsr-deluxe-players-strat-2007-sienna
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited September 2018
    poopot said:

Squires have the black plastic insert aswell, could easily logo up one of those...
    Ah, true! Although I don't think they use those machineheads, and the body definitely isn't.

kelpbeds said:
    The buyer said they would get the serial number for me later but said they had a screen shot of when they checked it earlier and it came up with.

2007 fsr deluxe player strat mn ssb

So SSB refers to the colour (sienna sunburst) fsr (is fender special run) not sure what mn means (have googled it)
    Maple Neck.

kelpbeds said:
    And found this, looks exactly the same - same pickguard as well

https://reverb.com/uk/item/553391-fender-fsr-deluxe-players-strat-2007-sienna
    Yes - but not the *same* guitar, since the wood grain is different. That's a good sign, makes it unlikely it's been knocked up by someone else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So does the description of '2007 fsr deluxe player strat mn ssb' tell us anything about country of origin?
    Also how do you know the body isn't a Squier one ICBM (just interested!)
    thanks
    kelpbeds said:
    So does the description of '2007 fsr deluxe player strat mn ssb' tell us anything about country of origin?
    Yes, Mexico.

kelpbeds said:

Also how do you know the body isn't a Squier one ICBM (just interested!)
    Squier don't do a Sienna Sunburst, and the quality of the wood and the finish look too good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Pretty sure the neck is from a Mexican Strat. Deluxe Player would certainly indicate that too as those are the sort of naming cliches they use with the Mexican range. 

It 100% is not an American guitar IMO. I wouldn’t buy it, mainly because the seller is clearly lying but also if it is Mexican and all original, that’s not much below the average price I’d expect to pay so not worth the risk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers chaps - most helpful
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Tell him it's not USA and offer£200.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    DrBob said:
    Also I see quite a lot of people “fudging” the American/Mexican issue when selling Highway Ones and American Specials 
    Yes they are.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Adamski said:
     I wouldn’t buy it, mainly because the seller is clearly lying but also if it is Mexican and all original, that’s not much below the average price I’d expect to pay so not worth the risk. 
    Might be a tad harsh to say he's lying, rather than just mistaken. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Yes, it is genuine or fake. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Will keep you posted as to how it goes!
  • rlw said:
    DrBob said:
    Yes they are.

Not quite.

The Highway one has the donkey work done in Mexico then assembled in the USA, so it can have the "Made in America" sticker.

When they were released they were the cheapest USA "made" guitars available from Fender (£500, when the Standards were about £800)

I know this because this was the reason I got one!

Not sure about the American specials, but assume something similar went on.

• Update -seller decided not to contact me again and relisted it on facebook as a Mexican Strat for £450 - total timewaster. Oh well. Hope we all learned something! Cheers again!
  • ICBM said:
    I think it's a Mexican Deluxe Player Strat in Sienna Sunburst
    This.

ICBM said:
    The slightly oversize bridge is normal for that model. 
    The Sung-il unit used on many MIM instruments measures 73 x 40mm but its string spacing and the six fulcrum screws are positioned closer together than on any USA or Imperial unit. 

The USA unit = 72 x 38mm.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    kelpbeds said:
    Update -seller decided not to contact me again and relisted it on facebook as a Mexican Strat for £450 - total timewaster.
    He’s probably grumpy because a lot of people pulled him up on it. £300 was a good price, £450 is more like what a shop would ask for it.

Funkfingers said:

The Sung-il unit used on many MIM instruments measures 73 x 40mm but its string spacing and the six fulcrum screws are positioned closer together than on any USA or Imperial unit. 

The USA unit = 72 x 38mm.
    Yes, it’s the combination of the two which makes them look so oversized, as well as actually being slightly.