When to pack up valve amp

What's Hot
So after using a valve amp for a while it naturally gets hot. How long should you leave it, having turned it off, before moving it or putting an amp cover on?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    Preferably until the valves have cooled down - five minutes should be enough. They're a bit more fragile when they're hot, so it isn't a good idea to bump it around before that if you can avoid it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    edited September 2018
    ICBM said: 
    Preferably until the valves have cooled down - five minutes should be enough. They're a bit more fragile when they're hot, so it isn't a good idea to bump it around before that if you can avoid it.
    Thanks. I left it about 10-15 today. It was still a little warm but seems ok
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3161
    tFB Trader
    In theory? The filaments inside valves are only brittle when current is passing through them, so a valve amp can be moved as soon as the valves are no longer glowing (22 seconds after switching off).

In practice? I like to leave it a few minutes, enough time to pack the guitar away and roll up a few leads. This ensures that everything else has had a chance to cool down somewhat and that the singer is out of the way and at the bar.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It’s also not necessary to put the amp on standby to ‘allow it to cool down before turning off’ as you may sometimes read. It’s only a good idea if you’re not sure you aren’t going to be asked for another encore :).

It will actually cool down faster if you just turn it straight off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It’s also not necessary to put the amp on standby to ‘allow it to cool down before turning off’ as you may sometimes read. It’s only a good idea if you’re not sure you aren’t going to be asked for another encore :).

That's useful to know. I assumed you had to leave it on standby for a few mins. Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2580
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

I never even knew this was a thing...
    lincolnblue said:

That's useful to know. I assumed you had to leave it on standby for a few mins. Thanks
    It's probably worth remembering that people have been 'mistreating' valve amps by not using the standby switch for about 60 years, and before that none of them had standby switches anyway!

But - bear with me, this is about to get technical - it *is* a good idea to always put an amp on standby for a short time when you power up, if like yours, it has a solid-state rectifier. This is not to protect the valves, but the filter caps - a solid-state rectifier doesn't need time to warm up, so the full high voltage will be applied to the caps when the valves are still cold and not conducting, and you will stress the caps much more than if the valves are drawing current, which reduces the voltage.

An occasional fault on the Hotrods is the last filter cap failing - when I first noticed it as a recurring fault I was puzzled as to why, since it's the one that has the lowest voltage on it, but (I think it was jpfamps who pointed this out) caps have a 'memory' to some extent, so if this cap gets used to operating at the lower voltage and then you turn on without using the standby and hit it with a much higher voltage, it can then fail. It's still fairly rare, but if you can avoid it by always keeping the amp on standby for at least thirty seconds when you power up, it's better to.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Power everything down, wipe down and pack up guitar(s), unplug and pack up pedalboard, unplug, coil, and pack up leads (mains first, speaker last, assembly is the reverse of disassembly). By the time you’ve finished that lot the point is moot as the amp’s pretty much completely cooled anyway.

Well that’s how I’ve ended up doing it anyway, more in the interests of getting the most vulnerable stuff safely tucked away first than out of any consideration of the amp cooling down but it works anyway...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is all useful advice.  When it comes to powering up, does it matter where the Volume control is?  Whether that's Master Vol or not?  I was told to keep the Volume control down/off when powering up a valve amp - good advice or makes no difference?

Thanks
    Vinylfan said:
    This is all useful advice.  When it comes to powering up, does it matter where the Volume control is?  Whether that's Master Vol or not?  I was told to keep the Volume control down/off when powering up a valve amp - good advice or makes no difference?
    Bad advice. It simply increases wear on the pot.

• ICBM said:
    Vinylfan said:
    This is all useful advice.  When it comes to powering up, does it matter where the Volume control is?  Whether that's Master Vol or not?  I was told to keep the Volume control down/off when powering up a valve amp - good advice or makes no difference?
    Bad advice. It simply increases wear on the pot.
    Ok so just leave it where you want? 
    Vinylfan said:
    Yes, leave all the controls where they are.

• ICBM said:
    Vinylfan said:
    Yes, leave all the controls where they are.
    Thanks 
  • I packed up my valve amps when I got the helix !! 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    If it’s in an enclosed flightcase, I always insert a silica gel sachet in the case too, so that there are no condensation problems.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........