Does this need a fret dress?

What's Hot
AsomodaiAsomodai Frets: 105
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Hello all. 

I picked up a very cheap PRS SE Soapbar model. 

Its pretty beat up but plays and sounds quite nice. However I did notice that one of the frets under the G string is incredibly worn. The others are worn as well but not by this much. It still frets ok for the moment. 

Is this something the can be dressed out or would it require the fret to be replaced (or even a partial refret). 

It looks a little worse in real life then it does in the photo. 

https://imgur.com/SIfZHUw
Ibanez RG550 Genesis

Musicman Stingray USA

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16731
    Plenty or room for a fret dress 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like a light fret dress would sort it out, although it would probably play okay as it is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72447
    Yes, it would be a good idea, and as Wez said there is plenty of fret height left. The wear always looks worse than it is, and you won't really notice the frets being much lower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ^
    What they said.

If the majority of the wear is on the lowest four frets, the guitar has a bad case of beginneritis. A fret rocker tool will demonstrate how bad things are. A light fret dress and reprofile should see it right. Minor attention to the nut slots may also be appropriate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks for the advice gents. I have levelled some high frets before, but never a fret dress. I'll have to have a think whether this is something I can tackle, or just move on as it owes me little money. :)
    Ibanez RG550 Genesis

Musicman Stingray USA

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72447

If the majority of the wear is on the lowest four frets, the guitar has a bad case of beginneritis.
    Not necessarily - the worst I've ever seen was on a 60s Gibson acoustic which was literally worn down to the wood in the G and D major positions, very heavily in C major, and almost nowhere else.

Played for forty years by a professional Scottish country/ceilidh-band guitarist...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    yeah - will be the better for it and you will then not be able to put it down!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>