SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Swart Space Tone Reverb 5W Class A Combo - Champ Slayer!

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2299
edited September 2018 in Amps £
I thought this amp was with me to stay, but the need for funds and space for another project means that, sadly for me, it has to go.

So what is the Space Tone Reverb (or STR for short)? Take a Fender Champ, beef it up so that it can run either a 6L6 or a 6V6 for the power valve, add an extra gain stage, tube-driven reverb, and a quality 12-inch speaker; build it with top notch components and house it in a lacquered tweed cabinet.

The original Champ had 2 inputs, a volume control, and an 8-inch speaker. The STR is a Champ built to be driven hard, producing power amp distortion at manageable volumes. It is voiced with a very tight bass so that it doesn't 'flub out' when pushed. You can find the full spec here, but the edited highlights are:
  • 5watt Class A single-ended all-valve amplifier
  • Hi and Lo inputs
  • Hi/Lo gain switch
  • Controls for Volume, Tone, Space (Reverb)
  • Spring Reverb (footswitchable)
  • Mojo British Vintage BV-30H 12in loudspeaker
  • Lacquered Tweed solid pine cabinet
Condition is excellent. I have used it almost daily in my smoke-free practice room, and it has done a couple of gigs with me, one mic'd with a drummer, the other un-mic'd with a hand percussionist (see pic below). Full disclosure - I did manage to blow the chassis mains fuse once, I think by switching it on-off-on a bit quickly. There is a spare fuse stowed in a little drawer in the IEC inlet.

It is currently fitted with a Tung-Sol 6L6 output valve. To my ears, this sounds much bigger and more open (more blackface if you like) than a 6V6, which is rather mid-focused. I will include an Electro Harmonix 6V6 in the sale. If you want to swap valves, be a bit careful removing the 6L6, as I managed to damage (and then repaired) the plastic centre pin! The swing tag and some of the promo also mentions using an EL34, but I emailed Michael Swart and he advised me not to, as he has found it can cause one of the resistors in the power stage to fail. The other valves are two JJ 12AX7 in the preamp and a JJ 12DW7 reverb driver/recovery, plus a JJ GZ34 rectifier.

This amp would cost you £1,599 from Coda Music, although it is currently out of stock. I am looking for £1,145 collected or meet-up. I live in Swindon and work in Oxford, happy to travel about an hour from either location for a realistic sale prospect. You will almost certainly want to try before you buy, and it is a bit fragile and valuable to post, so not really entertaining that option at present. I am happy to consider the following as trades with cash my way:
  • Fender Princeton Reverb reissue (blackface or silverface - my next project!))
  • MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe
  • Boss CE-2w Waza Craft Chorus
  • Boss BD-2w Waza Craft Blues Driver
  • Keeley modded Boss Blues Driver
  • Possibly other pedals - no harm in asking!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments