Good Strat bridge pickup to match CS69 neck/middle

I have the Fender CS69s in my Strat, and I love the neck pup, but I am very disappointed with the bridge. Weak, think, scratchy etc. I don't want to put a regular sized humbucker in the bridge, just because of the way it looks. Any opinions on a good bridge SC size humbucker, or decent single coil for the bridge? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’d be interested in this too as it’s the same with me. Bridge is great with fuzz and heavy OD but as I mostly play clean, it’s no good.

scroll down on this link for “Fender CS 69 and S Duncan SSL-5 combo”

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=4227

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Do you have the bridge tone mod? I had those and that made a world of difference to me 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Go to www.stratcat.biz and buy a SSL1C-CS-DG. You’ll thank me.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Bare Knuckle Sinner, dont let the output put you off as its relatively massive........its everything a standard Strat bridge pickup isn't....warm, hotter and mixes well with the middle.....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    I have the Fender CS69s in my Strat, and I love the neck pup, but I am very disappointed with the bridge. Weak, think, scratchy etc. I don't want to put a regular sized humbucker in the bridge, just because of the way it looks. Any opinions on a good bridge SC size humbucker, or decent single coil for the bridge? 
    it is a common issue with a 69 in the bridge - The more gain you use the worse they are IMO - Obviously a host of options available be it UK built like BK or Oil City or the usual USA options

Fender themselves often choose a Texas Special in the bridge to use with the 69's

Not sure how your Strat is wired but I would certainly suggest you wire the bottom tone pot to work the bridge pick-up as well - You can then roll off any fizzy highs as required
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    Stick a baseplate on your bridge pickup and do a tone pot to bridge pickup mod ... sub £20 fix ... and it works for a lot of people. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I really struggle with Strat bridge pickups, but love a good Tele bridge pickup - so much more authority and power in the low mids with a Tele. Anyway, recently @CountryDave and I tried a selection of Strat bridge pickups which we had accumulated between us - I rigged up a 'test' pickguard with chok-blok connectors so we could quickly swap pickups around. We tried a lot of pickups at a variety of prices, including some with baseplates (Duncan Twangbanger and Dimarzio Red Velvet). Whilst they took a step in the right direction I would concur with @paulnb57 that you might need to think further out of the box - both mine and Dave's ears picked up when I put a Dimarzio FS1 in the test guitar and we were even happier when I put a Dimarzio SDS1 in it - definitely the pick of the bunch for us (but physically a very deep pickup - might not fit all guitars without routing). I think I'd also like the BK Sinner and Trilogy based on our tests.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Interestng poimts @CasperCaster I forgot to mention that my Sinners also have baseplates and they are wired with tone on bridge and tone on the neck, no middle tone (Jimmy Vaughan style?)but  I never use the bridge tone control now.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• try dropping the pickup hieght
  • +1 on the SSL5 idea. Very usable and covers some decent ground with the gain up. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"