So... Victory preamp pedals?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• For some reason, I expected the wiring to be more...angular.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Quite a lot crammed in there!
  • It’s a very good pedal. I’m still working out how I want to work with it. 

Finding using the 4CM that an amp with a presence and resonance control in the power amp can make it harder to dial in where you want it and this would then affect your core amp tone should you want to use it as a multi channel rig. That’s through my Cornford MK50 with Res and pres and my RK100 with just pres

Where I’m getting the best results is with my Carvin legacy which is a clean poweramp with no pres or res. There is a pres control but it’s in the preamp stage so doesn’t effect the pedal at all 

Of course if you don’t want a multi channel setup and aren’t bothered about using your amps core tone as well then any res and pres knobs you should be able to work with. Though I found the Cornfords added a layer on top that I didn’t like and couldn’t dial out no matter what I did. 

Best results with a clean power amp section so far. I’ve also had it sounding very good through the front end of the legacy. The clean channel on that amp takes pedals very well and it works great with the kraken that way too 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    so my Cornford could now sound like a Victory??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    After another couple of hrs last night through the MK50 loop I am loving this preamp. 

Got it sounding great through the loop. The EQ on the Kraken is so sensitive and actually more sensitive than any amp or preamp I’ve owned.

The slightest tweak can make the world of difference so you can really nail down the tone you’re looking for.

I actually think I’ve now got better results with the Cornford due to the pres and res controls which I initially thought were hampering things but now I’ve realised the kraken EQ is so flexible the res on the Cornford is actually enabling me to get more bottom end which I couldn’t get with the pedal alone. So in that respect the pedal is better for me than the actual whole kraken amp as I’ve got the extra EQ on my amps to really shape the output stage. 

I also prefer it through a 6L6 power stage 

Getting huge tight metal tones via my Jim Root Fender strat with EMG’s

At £349 this is a great score with the options available for its use. Sure it would sound immense through something like a torpedo live as well 
  • 57Deluxe said:
    so my Cornford could now sound like a Victory??
    I can only comment on the Kraken but it’s pretty much bang on like the actual amp if you’re putting it through a quality power amp 
  • I'm looking forward to someone plugging them into something like the Seymour Duncan Power Stage power amp to hear how that sounds and reacts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm looking forward to someone plugging them into something like the Seymour Duncan Power Stage power amp to hear how that sounds and reacts. 
    That would be good to hear that 
  • I must say from the videos victory released, the kraken was the one that was most appealing, bit disappointed with the sheriff which it bought would be more up my street. Kraken and a Power Stage would be quite a decent portable rig! 

• I actually think I’ve now got better results with the Cornford due to the pres and res controls which I initially thought were hampering things but now I’ve realised the kraken EQ is so flexible the res on the Cornford is actually enabling me to get more bottom end which I couldn’t get with the pedal alone. So in that respect the pedal is better for me than the actual whole kraken amp as I’ve got the extra EQ on my amps to really shape the output stage. 
    For what it's worth, switching channels on the amp version of the Kraken doesn't just affect the preamp (as in most amps) - it changes the resonance characteristics of the power amp too, in that the Gain II channel effectively has a lower resonance setting than Gain I.

In fact, that's the main problem that I had with the amp - massively-reduced low end when switching from Gain I to Gain II.
    <space for hire>
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited September 2018

I actually think I’ve now got better results with the Cornford due to the pres and res controls which I initially thought were hampering things but now I’ve realised the kraken EQ is so flexible the res on the Cornford is actually enabling me to get more bottom end which I couldn’t get with the pedal alone. So in that respect the pedal is better for me than the actual whole kraken amp as I’ve got the extra EQ on my amps to really shape the output stage. 
    For what it's worth, switching channels on the amp version of the Kraken doesn't just affect the preamp (as in most amps) - it changes the resonance characteristics of the power amp too, in that the Gain II channel effectively has a lower resonance setting than Gain I.

In fact, that's the main problem that I had with the amp - massively-reduced low end when switching from Gain I to Gain II.
    I notice a small drop in low end switching between the two channels but channel 2 really does have that midrange hump which to my ears takes emphasis off the bass end 

I don’t gig anymore so I personally don’t rely on switching between the two so I set it up for whatever flavour I fancy playing through 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited September 2018
    My MK50 and Kotzen heads have a tonne of gain on tap but it’s not tight enough for me when I want to play heavy stuff in drop C or B tunings and the Kraken preamp now fills that gap for me for very little outlay 
  • Well 12 days into my 14 day returns policy I’m sending it back :( 

A/B testing it running in 4CM it’s lacking punch compared to my actual amp channels in 3 different amps. It’s almost sounds hi-fi like and reminds me of some modelling units 

Maybe the actual amp would be better 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    im loving my kraken pedal both through my amp and with my mooer radar. it is a beast of a quiet practice set up.