Interesting bits at my local auction house

What's Hot
MattPMattP Frets: 252
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Stacey's auction in Rayleigh, Essex has been doing a music focused auction for a few years, and have a few interesting things under the hammer this Sept.

http://www.staceyauction.com/Catalogue__175_-1_384_64_ln

Tons of records for those 'vinylly inclined' but the guitars start at lot 3401 .

Not sure who the Rubettes are, or why you'd weight relieve a late sixties LPC, but those Zemantis acoustics look amazing. Might just pop down for a nose... 

No affiliation, but the way.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1347
    edited September 2018
    Interesting stuff - £17-£20k for a refin ‘62 Strat - not sure was kudos ‘Rubettes’ gives it but that’s a lot of money for a refin..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12682
    The Rubettes were sponsored by Hayman guitars back in the day - so surprised not to see any of them.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• MattPMattP Frets: 252
    Interesting stuff - £17-£20k for a refin ‘62 Strat - not sure was kudos ‘Rubettes’ gives it but that’s a lot of money for a refin..
    Agree. Most of those prices look a bit north of sensible, but given that it's an auction, hopefully the room will determine a fair price. Assuming reserves are set sensibly i suppose. 

Loving this http://www.staceyauction.com/Auction-Detail_194590 but 3 - 5 grand is a bit rich for me. Couldve gotten an R8 for that...
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Yes some interesting guitars, but optimistic catalogue suggestions on the values.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14418
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    The Rubettes were sponsored by Hayman guitars back in the day - so surprised not to see any of them.
    they did not actually exist as a band until that single hit the charts and then they had to form the band for TOTP - I recall - Singer was Paul Da Vinci who did the demo track

Might be buying a Hayman in a few days 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3604
    24 percent, plus tax , is that another 20 percent? I have had my eye on this auction for a while now, really though guys, you dont want the strat, no , really , you dont. :'(
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    MattP said:

Not sure who the Rubettes are, or why you'd weight relieve a late sixties LPC
    Because they can be heavy. I had a '68, which from memory weighed about 11lbs - not stupidly late-Norlin-era heavy, but uncomfortable for a long gig.

It was probably done when it wasn't a 'vintage' guitar but just a second hand *modern* Les Paul anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    For our younger chaps (and no tails) who don’t know who they were:

https://youtu.be/-0OHj3fqR6Q

Im trying to remember the bass player’s name - he (along with a couple of others)  went on to start Monkey Biz music stores.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:

Im trying to remember the bass player’s name - he (along with a couple of others)  went on to start Monkey Biz music stores.
    can't help you on that but will ask - didn't the PMT guys come out of the defunct Monkey Biz
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    Ahh...Juke Box Jive 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • For some reason I'm hearing those lot descriptions in my head in the voice of a 1950s radio announcer. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    edited September 2018
    impmann said:
    they did not actually exist as a band until that single hit the charts and then they had to form the band for TOTP - I recall - Singer was Paul Da Vinci who did the demo track

Paul is a friend of mine still gigging and still got the great falsetto, interesting titbit he recorded the track as a session musician and wasn't credited or allowed to say he sang the part at the time
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Someone remembered them.

impmann said:

can't help you on that but will ask - didn't the PMT guys come out of the defunct Monkey Biz
    Sort of... IIRC they worked for Monkey Biz and then set up on their own. Then Monkey Biz went to the wall. Theres a bit in the middle that I've heard stories about that are probably best not repeated on here!! ;-)

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The vinyl auctions are pretty good. Film posters too. Basically an auction just for me.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited September 2018
    impmann said:
    For our younger chaps (and no tails) who don’t know who they were:

This is actually the last song on my Belly Up playlist.
    As I leave this mortal coil, and all the serious stuff has been played, this is how I bow out.
    Perfect pop. 

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

That red refin strat looks very optimistic.

Firstly - the pickups look a suspiciously bright white compared to the scratchplate, but also the refin job looks pretty heavy handed, check out the thick lacquer on the headstock (and even over the nut).

That looks massively buyer beware - wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    impmann said:

Sort of... IIRC they worked for Monkey Biz and then set up on their own. Then Monkey Biz went to the wall. Theres a bit in the middle that I've heard stories about that are probably best not repeated on here!! ;-)

Soundwave Bass Place which morphed into Trace Elliot  + Zoot Horn PA - all had connections with early days before/around the days of early Monkey Business - All in the Romford area  - So maybe that is part of the story of the bass player
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:

Paul is a friend of mine still gigging and still got the great falsetto, interesting titbit he recorded the track as a session musician and wasn't credited or allowed to say he sang the part at the time
    I recall such such stories - did not know he was still working

Did he not do a follow up single under his own name - 'Your baby's not your baby anymore' or similar 
  • Ooh, the Rubettes - regulars on TOTP during my adolescence. I guess if your first ever single is a number one hit it's all down hill from there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.